Translation of straight in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (not curved or wavy)(line/stick/nose/edge)
sin curvas(skirt/coat)to walk in a straight line
rectocaminar en línea rectakeep your knees straightno dobles las rodillashe walks with a straight backcamina muy erguidoa straight left/right (Sport)un directo con la izquierda/derechastraight cylinders (Cars)cilindros (masculine plural) en líneasee also→ straight angleExample sentences
- At the end of the straight section, the road bends to the right and appears to go down slightly.
- There is a mistaken belief that it is a straight road, while in fact there is a slight bend.
- Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions.
Example sentences1.2 (level, upright, vertical) (predicative) to be straight
- After a quick survey of the room, she saw that she was one of a handful of women whose hair was straight rather than curly.
- I have long, straight hair and I don't want it to be curly so please keep that in mind.
- She watched as the rain rinsed off Evelyn's layers of make-up and her straight hair became frizzy curls.
estar derechois this picture (hanging) straight?¿está derecho el cuadro?is my tie straight?¿tengo la corbata derecha or bien puesta?your tie isn't straightllevas or tienes la corbata torcidaExample sentences
- This consisted of a white fitted shirt, a blue straight skirt which came just above the knee and a blue sweatshirt and tie.
- They wore satin dresses with scalloped bodices and straight skirts and carried cream and cerise roses.
- The waitresses wear authentic Thai clothes and look elegant in their long straight skirts and blouses in silks of every hue of the rainbow.
- Your back should be reasonably straight and upright.
- Even his tie, blown to one side by a slight wind, was back to its normal straight position.
- The black tie was straight and positioned perfectly, giving him an overall very professional appearance.
- 2 (in order) (predicative) is my hair straight?¿tengo bien el pelo?I have to get o put my room straighttengo que ordenar or arreglar mi cuartoI need a few days to put o set o get my affairs straightnecesito unos días para poner mis asuntos en ordenif I pay for the coffees, we'll be straightsi pago los cafés quedamos or estamos en paz or (Southern Cone) a manoto get something straightlet's get this straighta ver si nos entendemosyou have to make sure you've got your facts straighttienes que asegurarte de que la información que tienes es correctaI went to see the boss to set the record straightfui a ver al jefe para aclarar las cosasjust to set the record straight, I never actually said thatque conste que yo nunca dije esoto put o set somebody straight about somethingaclararle algo a alguienI soon put him straightenseguida le aclaré las cosasExample sentences
- It took eight solid hours of cleaning to get the place straight.
- My maid is coming in the morning and I need to get the place straight so she can actually clean.
- I was pretty tired by evening - unpacking and trying to get the house straight had really taken it out of me, so instead of staying up to watch Big Brother, I went to bed early.
- 3 3.1 (direct, clear) the proposal met with a straight rejectionla propuesta fue rechazada de planoit's a straight choice between buying a car or going on holidayla alternativa es clara: o compramos un coche o nos vamos de vacacionesthis is a straight borrowing from an earlier workesto está sacado directamente de una obra anteriorI made $20,000 straight profitsaqué 20.000 dólares limpios de beneficioshe's on straight commissiontrabaja solo a comisiónto vote straight Democratvotar a los demócratas para todos los cargosit's a straight fightes un mano a manoshe got straight A's≈ sacó sobresaliente en todoExample sentences
Example sentences3.2 (unmixed)
- It was straight, forthright and honest, and, once the situation was resolved, there were no grudges and no problems.
- But the people he deals with are all evasive to the point that he can't get a straight answer.
- The only way to truly find out why would be to ask all the coaches how they voted and even then it might be hard to get a straight answer.
(gin/vodka)I always have my Scotch straight
- This time, the message was simple and straight: You too will grow old one day.
- I wasn't going to be doing any watching so I thought it best to put it in simple, straight terms.
- On the issue of the replacement, the coach said it was not as simple as making a straight swap.
solosiempre tomo el whisky soloExample sentences
- By the age of 14 Annie was drinking straight vodka, smoking cannabis on a daily basis and almost never going to school.
- That makes it more difficult for employees to hide beer, wine, or straight liquor in a Styrofoam cup or shaded glass.
- I didn't want to just order a beer - how classic - or a glass full of straight vodka.
- 4 (honest, frank)(question)all I want is a straight yes or no
directolo único que quiero es que me digas que sí o que no, sin másyou won't get a straight answer out of himno conseguirás que te dé una respuesta claraI've been absolutely straight with you about the whole businessno te he ocultado nada del asunto
- 5 (successive) he won in straight sets (Sport)ganó sin conceder or sin perder ningún setshe's had five straight winsha ganado cinco veces seguidasthis is the fifth straight day it's happened (American English)
ha obtenido cinco victorias consecutivas or al hiloeste es el quinto día seguido que pasaa straight flush (Games)una escalera de color
una escalera real
- 6 6.1 (serious)(composer)
de música seriaExample sentences6.2 (conventional) [colloquial] straight sex
relaciones (feminine plural) sexuales convencionalesExample sentences
- It's a great experience as there is a lot more latitude but I actually prefer dramas and straight thrillers.
- Though the subject matter is somewhat similar, this is a straight drama, devoid of comic moments and Seventies retro.
- It is a subject familiar to us from screwball farces, and one from which a straight drama could also be drawn.
Example sentences6.3 (heterosexual) [colloquial]
- They are straight, decent guys; unassuming and happy to take whatever slings and arrows are on the pitch.
- They're so straight, some of these people, that you can see how stressed they are when it comes to asking for cannabis.
- They were very good people and very straight, honest people.
- But let's face it - straight people have the option to get married.
- One reader even suggested that an organization should be founded to encourage other straight people to do the same.
- I don't really care what it's called, but if non-religious straight people can get married, so should gays.
- 1 1.1 (in a straight line)(walk)they live straight across from us
en línea rectaviven justo enfrente de nosotrosshe looked straight ahead/upmiró al frente/hacia arribathe truck was coming straight at meel camión venía derecho or justo hacia míI aimed straight for his heart
el camión se me venía encimale apunté justo al corazónhe made straight for the barse fue derecho al barcan you look me straight in the eye and tell me that?¿podrías decírmelo mirándome a la cara?keep/drive straight on until you come to the lightssigue derecho hasta llegar al semáforothe bullet went straight through his armla bala le atravesó el brazoExample sentences1.2 (erect)
(sit/stand)sit up straight
- The lid fell down with a great force straight on to my hand.
- Immediately after the causeway, head right through a gate and follow the lakeside path straight on then through woodland to reach a lane across your path.
- Follow the road straight on through the village passing the church on your left then follow Bankwell Road straight on.
derechoponte derechoExample sentences
- Stifling a cry of pain, she stiffly moved herself into a better position holding her arms straight as possible.
- Before he was even able to stand up straight he pulled her over towards an awaiting wagon.
- I pull my navy jumper straight and flex my fingers, ready to type.
- 2 2.1 (directly) I came straight home from workvine directamente or derecho a casa después del trabajoshe drank it straight from the bottlese lo bebió directamente de la botellahe looked like something straight out of a horror movieparecía salido de una película de terrorI joined the army straight from schoolme alisté en el ejército en cuanto terminé el colegiothey walked straight inentraron sin llamar2.2 (immediately) I went out straight after dinnersalí inmediatamente después de cenarI regretted it straight afterwards
salí en cuanto terminé de cenarme arrepentí inmediatamentethat music takes me straight back to my childhood
me arrepentí en cuanto lo dije ( or lo hice etc)esa música me transporta a mi infanciaI'll bring it straight backenseguida lo devuelvoshe said straight off she wasn't paying [colloquial]dijo de entrada que ella no pagabaI'll come straight to the pointiré derecho or directamente al granoif you do that again, you go straight to bedsi vuelves a hacer eso, te vas derechito a la cama [colloquial]straight away → straightaway
- 3 [colloquial] 3.1 (frankly)con franquezagive it to me straight, Meg, am I going to get better?dímelo con franqueza, Meg ¿me voy a mejorar?she told him straight outse lo dijo sin rodeosExample sentences3.2 (honestly) are you playing straight with me?
¿estás jugando limpio conmigo?to go straighthe swore he'd go straightprometió que se reformaría or se enmendaríaI'm going straightme estoy portando bien
- You need to tell him straight and not make excuses; it's not your fault that you like another person and it's not as if you used to be going out with him, so it won't be so bad telling him. Just say I'm sorry, I don't feel the same.
- I think just tell them straight that you cannot take up their job offer.
estoy llevando una vida honrada
- 4 (clearly)(see/think)I can't think straight
con claridadno puedo pensar claro or con claridadExample sentences
- When we are emotionally upset and complain that we can no longer think straight we are in fact quite correct.
- Europeans have to think straight, to talk honestly and recognise their commonality.
- So often she had been too drugged to think straight or she had been kept too busy to think.
- 1 1.1 (on race track) (Sport)the straightla rectato reach/enter the (final) straightllegar a/entrar en la recta finalExample sentences1.2 (straight line) cut the material on the straight
corta la tela al hilosee also→ straight and narrow
- The field bunched up turning into the straight with over four furlongs to run and a host of horses were in with a chance.
- Woodbine, with big, sweeping turns and a long straight, is the perfect track for European horses.
- He kept his horse against the far rails all the way up the straight for a popular win in the Stanley Racing Handicap.
- 2 2.1 (heterosexual) [colloquial]Example sentences2.2 (conventional person) [colloquial]
tipo, (-pa (masculine, feminine) ) convencional [colloquial]
- I have heard both gays and straights say that bisexuals can exercise heterosexual privilege and live a straight life, enjoying all the rights that gays don't have.
- ‘There is no difference on average between the economic status of gays and lesbians and straights,’ Badgett says.
- Nobody knows what makes someone gay, lesbian, bisexual or straight.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.