Translation of straight in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo (-er, -est)
- 1 1.1 (not curved or wavy) [line/stick/nose/edge] recto; [hair] lacio, liso; [road] recto, sin curvas; [skirt/coat] recto to walk in a straight line caminar en línea recta keep your knees straight no dobles las rodillas he walks with a straight back camina muy erguido a straight left/right [Sport/Deporte] un directo con la izquierda/derecha straight cylinders [Cars/Automovilismo] cilindros (masculine plural) en línea see also straight angleExample sentences
- At the end of the straight section, the road bends to the right and appears to go down slightly.
- There is a mistaken belief that it is a straight road, while in fact there is a slight bend.
- Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions.
Example sentences1.2 (level, upright, vertical) (predicative/predicativo) to be straight estar* derecho is this picture (hanging) straight? ¿está derecho el cuadro? is my tie straight? ¿tengo la corbata derecha or bien puesta? your tie isn't straight llevas or tienes la corbata torcida
- After a quick survey of the room, she saw that she was one of a handful of women whose hair was straight rather than curly.
- I have long, straight hair and I don't want it to be curly so please keep that in mind.
- She watched as the rain rinsed off Evelyn's layers of make-up and her straight hair became frizzy curls.
- This consisted of a white fitted shirt, a blue straight skirt which came just above the knee and a blue sweatshirt and tie.
- They wore satin dresses with scalloped bodices and straight skirts and carried cream and cerise roses.
- The waitresses wear authentic Thai clothes and look elegant in their long straight skirts and blouses in silks of every hue of the rainbow.
- Your back should be reasonably straight and upright.
- Even his tie, blown to one side by a slight wind, was back to its normal straight position.
- The black tie was straight and positioned perfectly, giving him an overall very professional appearance.
- 2 (in order) (predicative/predicativo) is my hair straight? ¿tengo bien el pelo? I have to get o put my room straight tengo que ordenar or arreglar mi cuarto I need a few days to put o set o get my affairs straight necesito unos días para poner mis asuntos en orden if I pay for the coffees, we'll be straight si pago los cafés quedamos or estamos en paz or (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) a mano to get sth straight let's get this straight a ver si nos entendemos you have to make sure you've got your facts straight tienes que asegurarte de que la información que tienes es correcta I went to see the boss to set the record straight fui a ver al jefe para aclarar las cosas just to set the record straight, I never actually said that que conste que yo nunca dije eso to put o set sb straight about sth aclararle algo a algn I soon put him straight enseguida le aclaré las cosasExample sentences
- It took eight solid hours of cleaning to get the place straight.
- My maid is coming in the morning and I need to get the place straight so she can actually clean.
- I was pretty tired by evening - unpacking and trying to get the house straight had really taken it out of me, so instead of staying up to watch Big Brother, I went to bed early.
- 3 3.1 (direct, clear) [denial/refusal] rotundo, categórico the proposal met with a straight rejection la propuesta fue rechazada de plano it's a straight choice between buying a car or going on holiday la alternativa es clara: o compramos un coche o nos vamos de vacaciones this is a straight borrowing from an earlier work esto está sacado directamente de una obra anterior I made $20,000 straight profit saqué 20.000 dólares limpios de beneficio she's on straight commission trabaja solo a comisión to vote straight Democrat votar a los demócratas para todos los cargos it's a straight fight es un mano a mano she got straight A's ≈ sacó sobresaliente en todo 3.2 (unmixed) [gin/vodka] solo I always have my Scotch straight siempre tomo el whisky soloExample sentences
- By the age of 14 Annie was drinking straight vodka, smoking cannabis on a daily basis and almost never going to school.
- That makes it more difficult for employees to hide beer, wine, or straight liquor in a Styrofoam cup or shaded glass.
- I didn't want to just order a beer - how classic - or a glass full of straight vodka.
- It was straight, forthright and honest, and, once the situation was resolved, there were no grudges and no problems.
- But the people he deals with are all evasive to the point that he can't get a straight answer.
- The only way to truly find out why would be to ask all the coaches how they voted and even then it might be hard to get a straight answer.
- This time, the message was simple and straight: You too will grow old one day.
- I wasn't going to be doing any watching so I thought it best to put it in simple, straight terms.
- On the issue of the replacement, the coach said it was not as simple as making a straight swap.
- 4 (honest, frank) [question] directo all I want is a straight yes or no lo único que quiero es que me digas que sí o que no, sin más you won't get a straight answer out of him no conseguirás que te dé una respuesta clara I've been absolutely straight with you about the whole business no te he ocultado nada del asunto
- 5 (successive) he won in straight sets [Sport/Deporte] ganó sin conceder or sin perder ningún set she's had five straight wins ha ganado cinco veces seguidas, ha obtenido cinco victorias consecutivas or al hilo this is the fifth straight day it's happened (American English/inglés norteamericano) este es el quinto día seguido que pasa a straight flush [Games/Juegos] una escalera de color, una escalera real
- 6 6.1 (serious) [play/actor] dramático, serio; [composer] de música seria 6.2 (conventional) [colloquial/familiar] convencional straight sex relaciones (feminine plural) sexuales convencionales 6.3 (heterosexual) [colloquial/familiar] heterosexualExample sentences
- They are straight, decent guys; unassuming and happy to take whatever slings and arrows are on the pitch.
- They're so straight, some of these people, that you can see how stressed they are when it comes to asking for cannabis.
- They were very good people and very straight, honest people.
- But let's face it - straight people have the option to get married.
- One reader even suggested that an organization should be founded to encourage other straight people to do the same.
- I don't really care what it's called, but if non-religious straight people can get married, so should gays.
- It's a great experience as there is a lot more latitude but I actually prefer dramas and straight thrillers.
- Though the subject matter is somewhat similar, this is a straight drama, devoid of comic moments and Seventies retro.
- It is a subject familiar to us from screwball farces, and one from which a straight drama could also be drawn.
- 1 1.1 (in a straight line) [walk] en línea recta they live straight across from us viven justo enfrente de nosotros she looked straight ahead/up miró al frente/hacia arriba the truck was coming straight at me el camión venía derecho or justo hacia mí, el camión se me venía encima I aimed straight for his heart le apunté justo al corazón he made straight for the bar se fue derecho al bar can you look me straight in the eye and tell me that? ¿podrías decírmelo mirándome a la cara? keep/drive straight on until you come to the lights sigue derecho hasta llegar al semáforo the bullet went straight through his arm la bala le atravesó el brazo 1.2 (erect) [sit/stand] derecho sit up straight ponte derecho
- 2 2.1 (directly) directamente I came straight home from work vine directamente or derecho a casa después del trabajo she drank it straight from the bottle se lo bebió directamente de la botella he looked like something straight out of a horror movie parecía salido de una película de terror I joined the army straight from school me alisté en el ejército en cuanto terminé el colegio they walked straight in entraron sin llamar 2.2 (immediately) I went out straight after dinner salí inmediatamente después de cenar, salí en cuanto terminé de cenar I regretted it straight afterwards me arrepentí inmediatamente, me arrepentí en cuanto lo dije ( or lo hice etc) that music takes me straight back to my childhood esa música me transporta a mi infancia I'll bring it straight back enseguida lo devuelvo she said straight off she wasn't paying [colloquial/familiar] dijo de entrada que ella no pagaba I'll come straight to the point iré derecho or directamente al grano if you do that again, you go straight to bed si vuelves a hacer eso, te vas derechito a la cama [colloquial/familiar] straight away straightaway
- 3 [colloquial/familiar] 3.1 (frankly) con franqueza give it to me straight, Meg, am I going to get better? dímelo con franqueza, Meg ¿me voy a mejorar? she told him straight out se lo dijo sin rodeos 3.2 (honestly) are you playing straight with me? ¿estás jugando limpio conmigo? to go straight he swore he'd go straight prometió que se reformaría or se enmendaría I'm going straight me estoy portando bien, estoy llevando una vida honrada
- 1 1.1 (on race track) [Sport/Deporte] the straight la recta to reach/enter the (final) straight llegar* a/entrar en la recta final 1.2 (straight line) cut the material on the straight corta la tela al hilo see also straight and narrow
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.