Translation of straw in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable (before noun) straw hat/mattresssombrero (masculine) /colchón (masculine) de pajastraw matExample sentences1.2 countable (single stalk) we'll draw straws for it
el que saque la paja or pajita más corta lo haceI always draw the short strawsiempre me toca a mí bailar con la más fea [colloquial] [humorous]a straw in the windun indicio de cómo andan las cosasnot to care/give a straw o two straws for something [colloquial]I don't care a straw for her opinionme importa un comino or un pepino or un rábano lo que piense [colloquial]to be the last o final strawser el colmothis is the last straw!
- This unique facility will be constructed with natural materials - plastered straw bale walls with a turf roof.
- The directive does require farmers to supply pigs with rooting materials such as straw, hay, wood, sawdust, compost or peat.
- I am afraid I do not follow the reasoning as wheat straw thatch has been a common roof covering for hundreds of years.
ser lo último¡esto ya es el colmo or lo último!to clutch o catch o grasp at strawsaferrarse desesperadamente a una esperanzathe straw which broke the camel's backla gota que colmó el vaso or (Mexico) que derramó el vinoExample sentences1.3 countable (for drinking)
pajita (feminine)to drink something through a straw
- To tickle a horse's belly with a straw (the childhood memory), she had to select a single straw.
- She stares at him and he looks at her and she asks, ‘Why are you chewing a straw?’
- ‘Of course,’ Mike replied between chews on a straw held carelessly between his teeth.
caña (feminine) (Spain)
pitillo (masculine) (Colombia)
popote (masculine) (Mexico)beber algo con una pajita ( or paja etc)Example sentences
- She was straddled across a terrified studenty looking lad who was drinking from a straw in the bottle.
- They are then asked to blow through a straw into a glass tube with a screw cap lid.
- To keep the stems standing straight, slip them into clear plastic drinking straws or vinyl tubing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.