Translation of stray in Spanish:
- 1.1 (wander away)apartarsealejarse(get lost)to strayextraviarseperderse
fromsomebody/somethingwe strayed from the rest of the groupseveral sheep strayed from the flocknos apartamos or nos alejamos del resto del grupoto stray from one's course/routevarias ovejas se separaron del resto del rebaño or se descarriaronto stray from the path of virtue/the party linedesviarse del camino/de la rutawe strayed off the pathapartarse or desviarse del buen camino/de la línea del partidoI strayed into a military zonenos apartamos del caminome metí sin querer en una zona militarExample sentences1.2 (wander) See examples: her eyes were straying around the room
my hand automatically strayed toward my walletpaseaba distraída la mirada por la habitación1.3 (digress) See examples: he kept straying from the issuela mano se me fue instintivamente hacia la carterathe conversation strayed to less serious topicsse apartaba or se desviaba una y otra vez del temadivagaba continuamentehe let his thoughts strayla conversación derivó hacia temas menos serios1.4 (err) [literary]se puso a pensar en otra cosaapartarse del buen camino
- Once or twice I thought I had strayed into a lecture course for undergraduates, because it feels as if the writer is repeating things he has said before.
- The Marines were arrested after they strayed into Iranian waters.
- No fewer than four aircraft had strayed into the exclusion zone around Elvington, putting the lives of those in the air and on the ground at risk.
- 1.1 (dog) (ownerless)(lost)(sheep)1.2 (random, scattered) See examples: a stray bulleta few stray hairsuna bala perdidabeen busy today? — a stray customer or twoalgunos pelos sueltos¿han tenido mucho trabajo hoy? — alguno que otro clienteExample sentences
- The long-haired variety needs a regular brush and comb and occasional trimming of stray hairs.
- A stray hair can lead to unpleasant sensations in one's mouth.
- She hurriedly grabbed her papers, gloves, and keys, tucked a stray hair behind her ear and looked sternly at me.
- Your child should never touch or feed stray cats or dogs wandering in the neighborhood or elsewhere.
- And he has a string of bands to take to the stage to help raise cash for abandoned and stray cats and dogs.
- The stray cats were seen wandering around in the greenland of Yandlord Garden, playing and searching for food day and night.
- (ownerless animal)perro (masculine) /gato (masculine) callejero or vago(lost animal)perro (masculine) /gato (masculine) perdidoExample sentences
- The former stray, who had been Mr Boffey's companion for the past three years, was later found unharmed in another farm vehicle.
- It seemed to be a healthy animal, not a wild stray, and more importantly, it sported a black collar.
- Cats are meat eaters so a large bowl of good quality tinned cat food along with a handful of dried cat food and a bowl of fresh water will most probably get a very warm reception from a hungry stray.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to