Translation of stray in Spanish:
- 1.1 (wander away)apartarse
alejarse(get lost)to stray
fromsomebody/somethingwe strayed from the rest of the groupnos apartamos or nos alejamos del resto del gruposeveral sheep strayed from the flockvarias ovejas se separaron del resto del rebaño or se descarriaronto stray from one's course/routedesviarse del camino/de la rutato stray from the path of virtue/the party lineapartarse or desviarse del buen camino/de la línea del partidowe strayed off the pathnos apartamos del caminoI strayed into a military zoneme metí sin querer en una zona militarExample sentences1.2 (wander) her eyes were straying around the room
paseaba distraída la mirada por la habitaciónmy hand automatically strayed toward my walletla mano se me fue instintivamente hacia la cartera1.3 (digress) he kept straying from the issuese apartaba or se desviaba una y otra vez del temathe conversation strayed to less serious topics
- Once or twice I thought I had strayed into a lecture course for undergraduates, because it feels as if the writer is repeating things he has said before.
- The Marines were arrested after they strayed into Iranian waters.
- No fewer than four aircraft had strayed into the exclusion zone around Elvington, putting the lives of those in the air and on the ground at risk.
divagaba continuamentela conversación derivó hacia temas menos serioshe let his thoughts strayse puso a pensar en otra cosa1.4 (err) [literary]apartarse del buen camino
- 1.1 (dog) (ownerless)(lost)
perdido(sheep)1.2 (random, scattered) a stray bullet
descarriadouna bala perdidaa few stray hairsalgunos pelos sueltosbeen busy today? — a stray customer or two¿han tenido mucho trabajo hoy? — alguno que otro clienteExample sentences
- The long-haired variety needs a regular brush and comb and occasional trimming of stray hairs.
- A stray hair can lead to unpleasant sensations in one's mouth.
- She hurriedly grabbed her papers, gloves, and keys, tucked a stray hair behind her ear and looked sternly at me.
- Your child should never touch or feed stray cats or dogs wandering in the neighborhood or elsewhere.
- And he has a string of bands to take to the stage to help raise cash for abandoned and stray cats and dogs.
- The stray cats were seen wandering around in the greenland of Yandlord Garden, playing and searching for food day and night.
- (ownerless animal)perro (masculine) /gato (masculine) callejero or vago(lost animal)
perro (masculine) /gato (masculine) perdidoExample sentences
- The former stray, who had been Mr Boffey's companion for the past three years, was later found unharmed in another farm vehicle.
- It seemed to be a healthy animal, not a wild stray, and more importantly, it sported a black collar.
- Cats are meat eaters so a large bowl of good quality tinned cat food along with a handful of dried cat food and a bowl of fresh water will most probably get a very warm reception from a hungry stray.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.