Translation of strength in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (of persons) 1.1 (physical energy)(health)with all my strengthfortaleza (feminine) físicahe doesn't know his own strength!con todas mis fuerzascon toda mi fuerzahis strength failed him¡no sabe la fuerza que tiene!¡no tiene conciencia de su propia fuerza!you must rest now to get your strength backle fallaron las fuerzasto save one's strengthahora tienes que descansar para recuperarte or para recobrar las fuerzasahorrar (las) energíasExample sentences1.2 (emotional, mental) he prayed for strength to withstand temptation
strength of will strength of characterrezó pidiendo fortaleza para resistir la tentaciónstrength of purpose give me strength! [colloquial]firmeza (feminine) or fortaleza (feminine) de carácter¡Dios me dé paciencia!Example sentences
- It seems oddly ironic that one could build an exterior of strength, that being strong seems strangely easier than being weak.
- Male advantages in physical strength and spatial skills were probably more useful in the past.
- His strength and other physical qualities already outmatch those of normal humans, but they are far from complete.
- In which situations did you receive strength to face difficulties?
- In emotional and mental strength she far supersedes a man.
- Berbizier castigated them after Paris, saying that it was more a lack of mental strength than an absence of fitness that saw them beaten.
- 2 uncountable (of economy, currency) political/military strengththe independence movement is growing o gaining in strengthpoderío (masculine) político/militara show of strengthel movimiento independentista es cada día más fuerteto negotiate from (a position of) strengthuna demostración or exhibición de fuerza or de poderíonegociar desde una posición fuerteExample sentences
- A great power possesses economic, diplomatic, and military strength and influence, and its interests extend beyond its own borders.
- They would then possess better strength and power to anticipate negative elements around them, he added.
- The solution is a world government with a full legislature, courts, and enough military strength to enforce its power.
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (of materials)(of wind, current)(of drug, solution)(of tea, coffee)lo fuerte(of alcoholic drink)3.2 (of sound, light)(of emotions)(of spices)lo fuerteExample sentences3.3 (of magnet, lens) 3.4 (of argument, evidence)
lo convincente(of protests)we employed her on the strength of his recommendationlo enérgicoon the strength of that performance she was offered a part in the moviela contratamos basándonos en su recomendaciónen virtud de esa actuación le ofrecieron un papel en la películaesa actuación le valió la oferta de un papel en la películaExample sentences
- With that strength of belief, all we needed was a break.
- Speculation that China may adjust its own currency peg and allow the yuan to rise has also lent strength to the belief that Malaysia might follow suit.
- The strength of her belief, of her conviction, warped the dream around her.
- The strength of the argument, however, lies not in its ability to convince but in what it removes.
- Many of you commented and added strength to the arguments (thanks again for that).
- Also, addressing people by correct name and title may put more strength to your argument.
- Similar considerations to those we have just given show that the weak force changes in effective strength as the energy at which it is measured increases.
- As a hurricane gains strength, its barometric pressure reading drops.
- We just had a wind gust report down there on the coast of hurricane force strength.
- The bone tissue is normal with a normal shape but it has lost mass and density and so lacks sufficient strength to withstand the forces which normally occur in daily life.
- It exceeds the elastic strength pressure and permissible pressure.
- Bracing variables include wind pressure, strength of masonry, type of system, and type of strut anchorage.
- In practice, even if patients were to take the wrong strength of these drugs it would make only a small difference, but for more toxic medicines it could prove fatal.
- The black market also makes judging the drug's strength impossible, making overdose a high likelihood.
- The clostridium virus is believed to have come from dirt used to cut the drug to reduce its strength.
- 4 countable (strong point)the strengths and weaknesses of the playpunto (masculine) fuertefrom strength to strengththe firm has gone from strength to strength since she took overlas virtudes y defectos de la obralos puntos fuertes y débiles de la obrahis career seems to be going from strength to strengthla empresa ha tenido un éxito tras otro desde que ella está al frentesu carrera marcha viento en popaExample sentences
- America's economic strengths lie in qualities that are hard to distill into simple statistics or trends.
- As you might expect, he believes his physical attributes are his greatest strengths.
- But at the end of the day, everyone has their own unique attributes and strengths that drive them forward.
- 5 uncountable and countable (number)(Military)the strength of the workforce has fallen by 50%efectivos (masculine plural)they have a peacetime strength of 100,000 menel número de trabajadores ha descendido en un 50%we're below o under strength at the momenten tiempo de paz tienen 100.000 efectivos militarestheir fans were there in strengthen este momento estamos cortos de personalen este momento mucha gente está ausenteis he on the strength?sus hinchas estaban allí en bloque or en masa¿forma parte del personal?Example sentences
- In legal terms, these numbers don't count against the Army's end strength.
- The plan states that the army's numerical strength should be brought down to 42,100 people by 2004.
- We have got more than half the deployable strength of the U.S. Army there.
- Ballinakill were now back at full strength having been reduced to 14, midway through the opening half.
- If police can cut crime with their present manpower levels, imagine what they could achieve at full strength.
- Fortunately, Stackpole Community Council remains at full strength and a recent vacancy attracted interest from more than one candidate.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.