intransitive verb past tense strove or strived past participle striven
- 1.1 (try hard)to strive
foro aftersomethingluchar or esforzarse por alcanzar algohe strives after perfectionlucha or se esfuerza por alcanzar la perfecciónto strive to + infinitiveesforzarsethey strive to please their customers por+ infinitivese esfuerzan por complacer a sus clienteshe strove to save his marriagetrató por todos los medios de salvar su matrimonioExample sentences1.2 (struggle) [literary]to strive
- Some people are perfectionists, constantly striving for excellence.
- Remember that your greatest ethical responsibility is to constantly strive for excellence in everything you do.
- Kirk and company are always striving to improve themselves, yet they revel in humanity's inefficiencies and imperfections.
againstsomethingluchar contraalgoExample sentences
- I couldn't believe I was off the boat - the thing sailors strive against at all times.
- God said to Moses, do not strive against me, or you will die; by faith only can this tribe be saved.
- I also believe the public intellectual has a position in the community that has to be fought for, striven for.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.