Translation of substantial in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (considerable) [amount/income/loan] considerable, importanteExample sentences1.2 (important, weighty) [changes/difference] sustancial; [contribution] importante substantial evidence pruebas (feminine plural) de peso we have reached substantial agreement on the terms of the deal hemos llegado a un acuerdo sobre los puntos esenciales del trato
- This finding is substantial considering the small size of the sample.
- But in any case, it is worth a very substantial amount of money to our economy - certainly in the order of a billion dollars or more.
- The robbers then ransacked the premises and stole £3,000 worth of cigarettes and a substantial amount of cash.
- 2 2.1 (sturdy, solid) [furniture/building] sólido; [book] sustancioso, enjundioso of substantial build de complexión robusta 2.2 (nourishing, filling) sustancioso have something a little more substantial than salad cómete algo un poco más sustancioso que una ensaladaExample sentences2.3 (wealthy) [formal or liter] acaudalado
- Indicators of consistent poverty include lack of heating, at least one day in the previous two weeks without a substantial meal, no warm waterproof overcoat or only one pair of strong shoes.
- A good, substantial meal, perhaps more akin to first-rate home cooking than wildly fancy restaurant food, but none the worse for that.
- As well as the restrictions regarding supervision and time, the law now insists that a substantial meal be served at the function.
- Enjoying a substantial social status, they produced topographical memoirs that provided information specifically devoted to the management of colonies by the state.
- There's something rather substantial about him.
- It gave voters a substantial and tangible personal reward and it was something Labour would never do.
- He argues that social activists need to realise that if they want substantial and tangible results, it is the government above all else which they need to influence.
- There is mind, but it is not tangible or substantial.
- The resonator is wide in the bass, with a substantial, strongly curved pillar and neck.
- The property, which sits among the substantial Victorian villas of Helensburgh's desirable upper west end, is laid out over two floors and sits on approximately half an acre of land.
- I am staying at the exclusive marina of Port St Charles, on the west of the island, a coastline characterised by grand hotels, substantial villas and private mansions.
- 3 (real, material) [formal] sustancial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is the Día de los Santos Inocentes, a religious festival celebrated in the Spanish-speaking world to commemorate the New Testament story of the massacre of the "Innocents", by playing practical jokes, or inocentadas, on one another. The classic inocentada is to hang paper dolls on someone's back without their knowing. Spoof news stories also appear in newspapers and the media.