Translation of succeed in Spanish:
- 1 (have success)(plan)(person)after several attempts they finally succeeded
surtir efectodespués de varios intentos, al final lo consiguieron or lo lograronshe tried to persuade him, but did not succeedintentó convencerlo pero no lo consiguió or no lo logróto succeed
insomething/ -inghe's succeeded in all that he's doneha tenido éxito en todo lo que ha hechoto succeed in lifetriunfar en la vidahe finally succeeded in passing the examal final logró aprobar el examenyou'll only succeed in making matters worsesolo conseguirás empeorar las cosasnothing succeeds like successel éxito llama al éxitoif at first you don't succeed, try, try againel que la sigue la consigueExample sentences
- A group of 20 local blocklayers, plumbers and electricians succeeded in achieving their Safe Pass card in the FAS certified programme.
- Technical problems succeeded in achieving something the general public could not: temporarily disabling the march of bureaucracy.
- It has also succeeded in achieving the proclaimed mission of poverty reduction through community-based organisation of poor Kerala women.
- His talent will give him the fame he needs to succeed.
- They marry, both ultimately succeeding in the harsher social and financial climate of the New World.
- When competition becomes the dominant model for social reward, only a few can succeed, whereas the rest grow embittered.
- 2 2.1to succeed (
tosomething)he succeeded to the thronesubió al tronoto succeed to a titleheredar un título2.2 (follow) [literary] there succeeded a painful silenceentonces se produjo un incómodo silencioExample sentences
- The danger of war passed, to be succeeded by one yet more frightening: cholera, spreading from the east.
- As the acuteness of this remorse began to die away, it was succeeded by a sense of joy.
- As discipline improved and the men began to feel no longer simply volunteers, but enlisted volunteers, the romantic devotion which they had felt was succeeded by a feeling of constraint and necessity.
- 1 (take the place of) she succeeded her father as chairpersonsucedió a su padre en la presidenciawho succeeded him?¿quién lo sucedió?
¿quién fue su sucesor?Example sentences
- His 18-year-old niece, Victoria, succeeded him to the throne.
- Ten years after becoming king, Ferdinand was hounded from the throne, to be succeeded by his son, Boris III.
- At the age of 42 Moores is ideally positioned to succeed Fletcher as England coach when the time comes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.