Translation of sucker in Spanish:
- 1 [colloquial/familiar] (fool) [pejorative/peyorativo] imbécil (masculine and feminine) the poor sucker believed her el pobre imbécil le créyo to play sb for a sucker (American English/inglés norteamericano) engañar a algn como a un chino [colloquial/familiar] to be a sucker for sth I'm a sucker for musicals las comedias musicales son mi debilidad he's a sucker for punishment es un masoquista (before noun/delante del nombre) sucker bet (American English/inglés norteamericano) apuesta (feminine) de bobosExample sentences
- The gullible sucker actually plunks down money for an ‘outfit’ of software and seed emails.
- Yes, someone made it up solely for the purpose of trying to see how many gullible suckers they can con into forwarding it.
- I do feel sorry for the poor suckers who bought the book in the airport bookstore who think they are getting a book about blogs when they are actually getting a typical piece of right wing rubbish.
- Your editor begins by disclosing a prejudice: he is a sucker for real estate.
- Then again, I always was a sucker for Churchill.
- Always a sucker for a bit of cream cheese and smoked salmon I was delighted to discover the basil seasoning added some extra taste sensations to the panini.
- One Scottish scrum disintegrated completely and the Springboks are not noted for giving a sucker an even break.
- If the woman had let me drive a nail - that's right, I wasn't allowed to drive the nails - it wouldn't have taken two hours to get those suckers on the wall.
- Right, so after one of these suckers and only one, on account of the moderate alcohol consumption as dictated by the party poopers, some tension is alleviated.
- 2 (suction device — on animal, plant) ventosa (feminine); (— made of rubber) (British English/inglés británico) ventosa (feminine)Example sentences
- NoNo is the funny little red (nail-eating) robot with rubber sucker feet, given from Ulysses to Telemicus, as a birthday present.
- The basic mechanism of suction attachment is straightforward; the sucker forms a seal at the rim and reduces the pressure in the acetabular cavity.
- Hillstream loaches have flattened bodies and utilize suckers, permanently clinging to rock faces so they are not swept downstream.
- The tube feet of ophiuroids lack suckers and ampullae.
- What are the implications of the physical properties of water for suction attachment in octopus suckers?
- The vitex, too, can produce water sprouts, or vigorous vertical growths from larger branches and root suckers from the base of the tree.
- Keep root suckers, growths from the base of the tree, removed at all times.
- Black raspberries do not produce root suckers as do red raspberries.
- It sounds as if your mother plant has produced suckers while the fruit has been developing and ripening.
- If your original plant is healthy and has produced suckers while the fruit has been developing and ripening, a sucker may produce a second fruit.
- Many plants, such as strawberries, reproduce both sexually by seeds and also by putting out suckers that produce plants that are simply extensions of the parent plant.
- 4 (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar] lollipop 1
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas