Translation of sue in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- to sue sb (
forsth) demandar a algn poralgo she sued them for damages/breach of contract los demandó por daños y perjuicios/por incumplimiento de contrato he sued her for divorce le entabló una demanda de divorcio they sued her for libel le entablaron juicio por difamación, interpusieron querella por difamación en contra de ella [formal]
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [Law/Derecho] entablar una demanda, poner* pleito (Spain/España) to sue
forsth demandar poralgo to sue for damages demandar por daños y perjuicios 1.2 (plead) [literary/literario] to sue for peace hacer* un llamamiento or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) un llamado a la pazExample sentences
- It has to stop, and this is as good a time as any to sue for peace.
- Whoever follows Fred into the hot seat would have no alternative but to sue for peace.
- She must now advise her boss that, after eight years of war with Labour rebels, it is time to sue for peace.
- People have lost their jobs over derogatory remarks made in blogs, but can you be sued for libel or defamation?
- This made it financially worthwhile to sue officers for torts they might have committed.
- At the time, a wife was unable to sue her husband in tort, so the action was brought by the children.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain, the paga extra (or paga extraordinaria) is a bonus payment equivalent to a month's salary, paid twice a year, at Christmas and in July before the summer vacation, on top of the normal monthly salary. These bonuses are written into most permanent employment contracts.