Translation of suffer in Spanish:
- 1.1 (undergo)(injury/damage/loss/defeat)to suffer hardshippasar necesidadesExample sentences1.2 (endure) 1.3 (permit) [literary]to suffer somebody to +
- He learnt a great deal about the sufferings, the courage and the strengths of the East European churches.
- The physical and psychological sufferings of survivors tend to pale in comparison to the total number of victims.
- I feel like I should wear my battle wounds with pride, flaunt my sufferings, but I don't think I have suffered.
infinitiveshe would not suffer him to come near herdejar quealguien + subjunctiveno dejaba que se le acercaseExample sentences
- I accept that I suffered the defendant to supply heroin from my premises although I informed him on numerous occasions that I did not want him to do so.
- 1.1 (experience pain, difficulty) to suffer in silenceto make somebody suffersufrir en silencioto sufferhacer sufrir a alguien
forsomethingshe suffered later for this rash decisionsufrir las consecuencias dealgoto suffer for one's sins (Religion)más tarde sufrió las consecuencias de esta precipitada decisiónI drank too much last night and now I'm suffering for my sins [humorous]expiar sus ( or mis etc) culpas1.2 (be affected, deteriorate)anoche bebí demasiado y ahora estoy sufriendo las consecuencias(health/eyesight)(business/performance/relationship)verse afectadoExample sentences1.3 (be afflicted) See examples:to suffer
- You need hundreds of megabytes of spare disk space to store your movie, you can't use a Mac and if you try to enlarge the image (using a media player), picture quality suffers.
- Graffiti is a nuisance, it lowers the tone of the neighbourhood and everybody's quality of life suffers.
- Limiting the selection in this way ensures that the food is freshly prepared and that the chefs stick to the specialities they cook best so that neither taste nor quality suffers.
fromsomethinghe suffers from asthmasufrir or [formal] padecer dealgohe still suffers from the woundsufre or [formal] padece de asmaI suffer dreadfully from shynesstodavía le duele ( or le molesta etc) la heridatodavía se resiente de la heridasoy terríblemente tímidoExample sentences
- The child was not suffering from any physical ailment which could be cured through surgery.
- Sid suffers from a mental illness and spends his days rocking in a chair.
- Police called an ambulance as the woman suffered from emphysema but she was not taken to hospital.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.