Translation of suffer in Spanish:
- 1 (undergo)(injury/damage/loss/defeat)to suffer hardship
sufrirpasar necesidadesExample sentences
- He learnt a great deal about the sufferings, the courage and the strengths of the East European churches.
- The physical and psychological sufferings of survivors tend to pale in comparison to the total number of victims.
- I feel like I should wear my battle wounds with pride, flaunt my sufferings, but I don't think I have suffered.
- 3 (permit) [literary]to suffer somebody to +
infinitivedejarshe would not suffer him to come near her quealguien + subjunctiveno dejaba que se le acercaseExample sentences
- I accept that I suffered the defendant to supply heroin from my premises although I informed him on numerous occasions that I did not want him to do so.
- 1 (experience pain, difficulty) to suffer in silencesufrir en silencioto make somebody sufferhacer sufrir a alguiento suffer
forsomethingsufrir las consecuenciasshe suffered later for this rash decision dealgomás tarde sufrió las consecuencias de esta precipitada decisiónto suffer for one's sins (Religion)expiar sus ( or mis etc. ) culpasI drank too much last night and now I'm suffering for my sins [humorous]anoche bebí demasiado y ahora estoy sufriendo las consecuencias
- 2 (be affected, deteriorate)(health/eyesight)
- You need hundreds of megabytes of spare disk space to store your movie, you can't use a Mac and if you try to enlarge the image (using a media player), picture quality suffers.
- Graffiti is a nuisance, it lowers the tone of the neighbourhood and everybody's quality of life suffers.
- Limiting the selection in this way ensures that the food is freshly prepared and that the chefs stick to the specialities they cook best so that neither taste nor quality suffers.
- 3 (be afflicted)to suffer
fromsomethingsufrir dealgopadecerhe suffers from asthma dealgo [formal]sufre de asmapadece de asma [formal]he still suffers from the woundtodavía le duele ( or le molesta etc. ) la heridaI suffer dreadfully from shyness
todavía se resiente de la heridasoy terríblemente tímidoExample sentences
- The child was not suffering from any physical ailment which could be cured through surgery.
- Sid suffers from a mental illness and spends his days rocking in a chair.
- Police called an ambulance as the woman suffered from emphysema but she was not taken to hospital.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.