Translation of suggest in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (propose) he suggested dinner the next eveningto suggest somethingsugirió or propuso que cenáramos juntos al día siguiente
tosomebodyI suggested three alternatives to themsugerirle algo aalguienthe only thing I can suggest to you is to tell them the truthles sugerí or les propuse tres alternativasto suggestlo único que te puedo sugerir es que les digas la verdad -ingshe suggested leaving them a notesugerir + infinitivesugerir que+ subjunctiveto suggestsugirió dejarles or que les dejáramos una nota tosomebody thathe suggested to me that I (should) look for another jobsugerirle a alguien quefollowed by subjunctiveit was you who suggested (that) I tell my parentsme sugirió que buscara otro trabajoI suggest (that) we eat before the showfuiste tú quien me sugirió que se lo dijera a mis padrescan you suggest where we might meet?sugiero or propongo que comamos antes de la funciónhe suggested to us how we might do it¿se te ocurre algún lugar donde podríamos encontrarnos?he suggested Smith (to us) as a suitable candidatenos sugirió cómo podríamos hacerlo1.2 (offer for consideration) See examples: can you suggest a possible source for this rumor?(nos) propuso a Smith como un candidato idóneoI suggest (that) he's lying¿se le ocurre quién puede haber empezado este rumor?no one is suggesting you stole the moneyyo diría que está mintiendoI suggest (to you) that you are not telling the whole truthnadie está diciendo que se robó el dinero1.3 (imply, insinuate) what are you trying to suggest by that?me atrevería a afirmar que no nos está diciendo toda la verdadare you suggesting (that) my son is a thief?¿qué quieres insinuar con eso?¿insinúa usted que mi hijo es un ladrón?Example sentences1.4to suggest itselfan idea/a plan suggested itself to him
nothing suggests itselfse le ocurrió una idea/un planno se me ocurre nada
- Such scenes suggest the larger problem with the film, which is chiefly one of subtlety.
- These figures suggest a further significant increase, but they need to be treated with some caution.
- It has not been suggested that it has any reference, expressed or implied, to arbitration.
- 2 (indicate, point to) his reaction suggested a guilty conscienceall the evidence suggests that he was involvedsu reacción indicaba or daba a entender que se sentía culpabletodas las pruebas indican que él estaba involucradoExample sentences
- An unfinished lead buckle suggests some metalworking was taking place at the site, and there are also crucibles.
- Residues of zinc and lead may suggest experiments in pottery glaze manufacture.
- The fact a urine sample had been requested may reasonably have suggested an infection.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to