Translation of suggest in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (propose) he suggested dinner the next eveningsugirió or propuso que cenáramos juntos al día siguienteto suggest something
tosomebodysugerirle algoI suggested three alternatives to them aalguienles sugerí or les propuse tres alternativasthe only thing I can suggest to you is to tell them the truthlo único que te puedo sugerir es que les digas la verdadto suggest -ingsugerir +she suggested leaving them a note infinitive
que+ subjunctivesugirió dejarles or que les dejáramos una notato suggest tosomebody thatsugerirle a alguienhe suggested to me that I (should) look for another job quefollowed by subjunctiveme sugirió que buscara otro trabajoit was you who suggested (that) I tell my parentsfuiste tú quien me sugirió que se lo dijera a mis padresI suggest (that) we eat before the showsugiero or propongo que comamos antes de la funcióncan you suggest where we might meet?¿se te ocurre algún lugar donde podríamos encontrarnos?he suggested to us how we might do itnos sugirió cómo podríamos hacerlohe suggested Smith (to us) as a suitable candidate(nos) propuso a Smith como un candidato idóneoExample sentences1.2 (offer for consideration) can you suggest a possible source for this rumor?
¿se le ocurre quién puede haber empezado este rumor?I suggest (that) he's lyingyo diría que está mintiendono one is suggesting you stole the moneynadie está diciendo que se robó el dineroI suggest (to you) that you are not telling the whole truthme atrevería a afirmar que no nos está diciendo toda la verdad1.3 (imply, insinuate) what are you trying to suggest by that?¿qué quieres insinuar con eso?are you suggesting (that) my son is a thief?¿insinúa usted que mi hijo es un ladrón?Example sentences1.4to suggest itselfan idea/a plan suggested itself to him
- I suggested to her we start our own scholarly website and she was very taken with that idea.
- Her psychiatrist suggested to her parents that they should take her back to Nigeria for a long holiday.
- We have suggested to the Mayors that they form a League of Cities to lobby for a better deal.
se le ocurrió una idea/un plannothing suggests itselfno se me ocurre nada
- Such scenes suggest the larger problem with the film, which is chiefly one of subtlety.
- These figures suggest a further significant increase, but they need to be treated with some caution.
- It has not been suggested that it has any reference, expressed or implied, to arbitration.
- 2 (indicate, point to) his reaction suggested a guilty consciencesu reacción indicaba or daba a entender que se sentía culpableall the evidence suggests that he was involvedtodas las pruebas indican que él estaba involucradoExample sentences
- An unfinished lead buckle suggests some metalworking was taking place at the site, and there are also crucibles.
- Residues of zinc and lead may suggest experiments in pottery glaze manufacture.
- The fact a urine sample had been requested may reasonably have suggested an infection.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.