Translation of suit in Spanish:
- 1 (Clothing)Example sentences
- Choose jackets, tailored suits and shirtwaist dresses with straight, classic cuts.
- Cerruti has veered away from innocuous and terribly predictable suits; away from trousers, jacket, belt and shoes in perfect harmony.
- He probably also designs those fantastically expensive suits and clothes as well, doodling them down on the backs of team sheets during langours in play.
- Even Russian men, whose clothing choice was once limited to polyester business suits or polyester jogging suits, have become fussy dressers.
- Don't use a powerlifting suit or shirt; special clothing will make you depend more on momentum than on muscle.
- If you are still clinging to polyester ski pants and an old knit, long sleeved, bike jersey as your race suit, consider Lycra.
- 2 (Law) to file suit o bring a suit against somebodydemandar a alguien
llevar a alguien a juicio
entablar una demanda contra alguienExample sentences
- Ads designed to assemble litigants for class action suits represent an explosive area of growth in legal advertising.
- Thus the position now acknowledged is that in an appropriate case a claimant in a negligence suit may establish a prima facie case by relying on the fact of the accident.
- The Amendment only withholds federal judicial power in suits against the state by citizens of another state, or by citizens or subjects of any foreign state.
- 3 (in courtship) [dated] to plead o press one's suitpedir la mano de alguienExample sentences
- He took the rejection of his suit to the princess hard, and has plotted revenge against those caused the rejection of his suit.
- The knight undertakes a love suit to the daughter of Selestinus, a wise emperor in Rome, and certain strange terms are agreed upon between them as the condition of her favor.
- 4 (in cards) to be somebody's strong o (in American English also) long suitser el fuerte de alguiento follow suit(do likewise) seguir su ( or nuestro etc) ejemplo
hacer lo mismo(lit: in cards) jugar una carta del mismo palo
seguir el paloExample sentences
- The classic order of suits is hearts above diamonds, and spades above clubs.
- Tiles in a set of Chinese dominoes are divided into two suits (Civil and Military).
- It is generally easiest to divide a deck by suits, and then give each player all the cards of one suit.
- 1 (be convenient to, please)(arrangements/time)Tuesday/four o'clock would suit me better
venirle bien a
convenirle ame vendría mejor el martes/a las cuatroit would suit me better to start next week
me convendría más el martes/a las cuatrome vendría mejor or me convendría más empezar la semana que vienewhenever it suits youcuando te venga bienshe knows what suits her best
cuando te convengasabe lo que le convieneit's impossible to suit everybodyes imposible contentar a todo el mundoa chateau in France would suit me fine [humorous]no le haría ascos a un castillo en Francia [humorous]to suit oneselfhacer lo que uno quieresuit yourself!¡haz lo que quieras!
¡haz lo que te dé la gana! [colloquial]Example sentences
- Its courses are available on computers connected to the internet, so workers can learn wherever and whenever it suits them and you.
- They play their cards in a completely random fashion, laying down and picking up whenever it suits them.
- The athletes should be able to come to these grounds and practise whenever it suits them.
- I don't think so, for the Government doesn't back date anything unless it suits themselves.
- Departments suited themselves about typefaces and headings.
- In a word, they were doing what every elite in unaccountable institutions do, doing what suited themselves.
- 2 2.1 (be appropriate, good for) the job doesn't suit himel trabajo no es para él or no le vasuch language does not suit a man of Godese vocabulario no es el que corresponde a or el que se espera de un religiosothey suit each other very wellson de caracteres muy compatiblesthis cold weather doesn't suit meeste tiempo frío no me sienta bienthe furniture doesn't suit the houselos muebles no van con la casa2.2 (look good with)(hairstyle/dress)that color really suits you
quedarle or (especially Spain) irle bien aese color te queda muy bien or te favoreceshort hair suits the shape of her faceel pelo corto le queda or (especially Spain) le va bien a su forma de carasee also→ suitedExample sentences
- Each voice suits the character's personality well.
- Stay fit, dress to suit our figure, get a flattering hairstyle, and enhance nature with the right touch of makeup.
- Robert is a very animated character, so Opera suits him for sure.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.