- 1 (calculation — in general) cuenta (f); (— addition) suma (f), adición (f) [formal] I'll have to do my sums tengo que hacer cuentas or cálculos she's very good at sums es muy buena en aritméticaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- A perfect number is defined to be one which is equal to the sum of its aliquot parts.
- In fact the Egyptians only had fractions of this type and if the answer had not involved a unit fraction then the Egyptians would have written the fractional part as the sum of unit fractions.
- Find a right triangle having the property that the hypotenuse equals the sum of one leg plus the altitude on the hypotenuse.
- You saw crates of certain sizes, and then you would do your sums and then do your deductions from that.
- Have you ever wondered why your children seem to do their sums upside-down nowadays?
- She said: ‘I still have to do my sums and see if it is still a possibility for me.’
- 3 (of money) suma (f) or cantidad (f) (de dinero) she spends vast sums on clothes gasta muchísimo (dinero) en ropaMore example sentences
- Is it right to spend vast sums of money funding expensive conferences?
- Most Japanese currently hold large sums of money in secure savings accounts that yield zero interest.
- The conman asks the person contacted to contribute a small sum of money to speed up the release of the funds.
- v + o + adv, v + adv + o 1.1 (summarize) [discussion/report] resumir, sintetizar* the situation can be summed up in one word: chaos la situación se puede sintetizar en una palabra: caos 1.2 (assess) [person] catalogar* she quickly summed up the situation enseguida se hizo una composición de lugar, enseguida evaluó la situación 1.1v + adv 2.1 (summarize) recapitular to sum up, our analysis shows that … resumiendo or en resumen or para recapitular, nuestro análisis demuestra que … 2.2 [Law] recapitular
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)