nouncountable or uncountable
- the sun is shiningto rise with the sunhace solbrilla el solthe sun's in my eyeslevantarse al amanecerdon't stay out in the sun too longme da el sol en los ojoslet's sit out of/in the sunno te quedes mucho tiempo al solDenver had eight hours of sun yesterdaysentémonos a la sombra/al solto think the sun shines out of somebody's eyes o [slang] backside o [vulgar] arse (British English)ayer hubo ocho horas de sol en Denverunder the sunI've tried everything under the suncreer que alguien es maravillosoI've looked everywhere under the sunhe probado de todoshe called him every name under the sunhe buscado por todas partesthere's nothing new under the sunle dijo de todo(before noun) (hat/bonnet)sun blind (British English) sun godpara el solthe Sun Kingdios (masculine) del Solsun oilel Rey Solsun parlor o (British English) lounge sun umbrellaaceite (masculine) solar or para el solExample sentences
- Plant it in an area which receives full sun, digging it into soil which has been improved with the addition of compost and manure.
- Buy them in bloom, and plant them in full sun (light afternoon shade in hot climates).
- It compensated for standing in the hot sun without proper food or water for five days!
reflexive verb -nn-
- to sun oneselftomar el sol or (in Southern Cone also) tomar solasolearse (Latin America)Example sentences
- For the Indian security forces, whose speedboats, armed with heavy machine guns, cruised past visitors sunning themselves on the lake's famous house boats, the coming of summer means just one thing: the start of the fighting season.
- Tuck into clotted cream and freshly baked scones while sunning yourself on the terrace overlooking the beach.
- While other children were sunning themselves on beaches in Brittany or sending postcards from Greece, we were getting drenched at Culloden or counting midge-bites by Loch Arkaig.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the