Translation of superior in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (better) to be superior (
tosth/sb) ser* superior ( aalgo/algn), ser* mejor ( quealgo/algn) the sound is definitely superior el sonido es decididamente superior or mejor our cars are superior in design to theirs nuestros coches superan a los suyos en el diseñoExample sentences1.2 (above average) [workmanship/writer] de gran calidad they sell only superior quality goods solo venden productos de primera calidad
- Ask for a box rim flushing system over a standard rim flush for superior performance in a close coupled unit.
- A lot of companies are interested in investing in Ireland - they have superior building systems and can provide a superior standard of service.
- Krahling buys directly from a number of growers, each selected for the superior quality of his or her product.
- 2 (arrogant) [tone/smile] de superioridad or suficiencia she said it in a superior way lo dijo con tono de superioridad or de suficiencia he's so superior se da unos aires de superioridadExample sentences
- If you were a member, or aspiring member, of the latter group, you looked with superior amusement at the awkward wretches who were building a more curious identity with the help of drug culture.
- People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are.
- He is equal parts superior, insecure, vain, snobbish, and fearful.
- 3 (higher in rank, status) his superior officer su superior leave it to someone superior to you déjaselo a alguno de tus superioresExample sentences
- They were certainly physically superior to me.
- And sometimes, US drama is superior to the UK equivalent.
- Determining which is the superior choice for residential applications depends on whom you ask.
- 4 (in amount, number) given their superior numbers, we cannot win dada su superioridad numérica, no podemos ganarExample sentences
- Now the subjects can be brought to fear not only the ruler's superior force, but also his supernatural powers.
- Colonial conquest was not only the result of the power of superior arms and military organisation, but sustained and strengthened as much by the cultural technologies of rule.
- Yet DeGaulle and a small group of partisans went underground and refused to accept the superior power of the German army.
- 5 (above) [formal] to be superior
tosth estar* por encima de algoExample sentences
- The upper horns (or superior cornua) meet the back of the hyoid bone, while the inferior cornua are attached to the side of the cricoid, forming a pivotal joint.
- 6 (higher, upper) superior
- 7 [Astronomy/Astronomía] [planet] superior
- 1.1 (in rank, position) superior (masculine) she's my superior (ella) es mi superior 1.2 (in ability) she has few superiors pocos la superan she is his superior as a poet es mejor poeta que él 1.3 [Religion/Religión] superior, (masculine, feminine) Father Superior Padre (masculine) Superior Mother Superior Madre (feminine) Superiora
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the