- 1 1.1 (restrain, check) [anger/laughter] contener*, reprimir; [feelings] reprimir; [Psych] inhibir, reprimirMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (prevent publication of) [text] suprimir; [facts/evidence/truth] ocultar; [newspaper] retirar de la circulación
- So is it healthier to express or suppress your feelings?
- In other words, nightmares occur when dreams fail to blunt the body's emotional response, whereas successful dreaming controls and suppresses the feeling in dreams and protects the continuity of sleep.
- During the first, some were asked to express feelings of anger and others were asked to suppress those feelings.
More example sentences1.3 (put a stop to) [revolt/rebellion] sofocar*, reprimir; [political party/organization] suprimir
- After his memories were suppressed, he was allowed free access into his subconscious.
- She stepped into the scalding water of the tub and sank down into her array of bubbles, suppressing the memories of the accident and focusing all her energy on how she was going to convince Melanie she didn't want to try out for the dance team.
- In addition, the researchers found that the more subjects activated their frontal cortex during the experiment, the better they were at suppressing unwanted memories.
More example sentences
- You've ceased to try to deal with the issues, and moved into attempts to suppress information to prevent others from even being exposed to the issues.
- Regulators suppressed the negative information on the grounds that it might scare families and physicians away from the drugs, according to testimony by drug company executives.
- The Pakistani authorities have reportedly suppressed this information and not shared it with the US.
- The authorities forcibly suppressed the demonstration.
- Between the years 1892 and 1894, the Fasci was forcibly suppressed by the government and ordered to disband.
- This sparked a series of student demonstrations that were savagely suppressed, killing over 100.
- 2 [Rad] [TV] eliminar, suprimirMore example sentences
- The narrowband interference is then suppressed in the signal combiner prior to application to the standard cross correlation process.
- Spark plug wires that suppress electro-magnetic interference are a necessity in our electronics-rich race cars, but these wires can degrade over time.
- Due to such a constitution, the generation of the interference light can be suppressed.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sanfermines (The festival of San Fermín) is from 6th-14th July and el encierro (the 'running of the bulls'), takes place in Pamplona in northern Spain. The animals are released into the barricaded streets and people run in front of them, in honor of the town´s patron saint, San Fermín, who was put to death by being dragged by bulls.