- 1 (of highest authority) [power] supremo; [authority] supremo, sumo Supreme Commander Comandante (masculine) Supremo or en jefe God, the supreme architect Dios, el Sumo Hacedor Homer remains supreme among poets Homero sigue siendo el poeta supremo reign 2 2More example sentences
- The commanders in chief exercised supreme authority in their respective zones and acted in concert on questions affecting the whole country.
- It was also entirely possible, although I don't recall, that the president would also have to put his signature on a document as the supreme authority in the Niger regime.
- Unity can be achieved only by maintaining a strict homogeneity of views or submission or subordination to a single authority, necessarily the supreme leader of the Communist Party.
- 2 (extreme) [effort] supremo one of man's supreme achievements uno de los mayores logros del hombre with supreme indifference/courage con la mayor or con suprema indiferencia/valentía the supreme irony would be if … el colmo de la ironía sería que …More example sentences
- Coaches and athletes, some of them interviewed anonymously, say that after one supreme national effort, the hothouse intensity of the Chinese way will not survive the 2008 games.
- I was lucky in that I already knew about half the people there, but it seemed very easy to wander up and talk to the ones I didn't know, primarily because of the supreme efforts of our host and his team of helpers to make us feel at home.
- I knew that holding the candy in her plump little hands all that time without unwrapping it represented a supreme effort of the will for my incurably chocoholic daughter.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.