- 1 c 1.1 (of solid, land) superficie (f) (road) surface [Auto] pavimento (m), firme (m) (Esp) the earth's surface la superficie terrestre or de la tierra the interview never got below the surface la entrevista fue muy superficial he just scratched the surface of the problem trató el problema muy superficialmente or muy por encima (before n) [wound/mark] superficial; [resemblance/charm] superficial 1.2 (of liquid, sea) superficie (f) to come/rise to the surface [diver/submarine] salir*/subir a la superficie [feelings] aflorar, salir* a la superficie all his bitterness came to the surface toda su amargura salió a la superficie or afloró (before n) [ship/vessel] [Mil] de superficie 1.3on the surface (superficially) en apariencia, a primera vista
- [submarine] emerger*, salir* a la superficie; [diver/fish] salir* a la superficie; [problems/difficulties] aflorar, aparecer*, surgir* public concern first surfaced ten years ago las primeras manifestaciones de inquietud por parte del público aparecieron hace diez años he surfaced ten years later in Brazil reapareció en el Brasil diez años después he hasn't surfaced yet [humorístico/humorous] todavía no ha dado señales de vida [humorístico/humorous]More example sentences
More example sentences
- He smiled at his wife before diving into the cool water, surfacing and glancing at Emily expectantly.
- She did an almost perfect dive into the water as well and surfaced next to him.
- Adri surfaced and wiped the water off of her face.
- Had they both had a chance of success, the issue might have surfaced and received the real attention which the main parties tried to stifle.
- Two main issues have surfaced with the presence of IM on corporate networks.
- A last-minute story has surfaced, designed apparently to damage the Bush effort for the presidency.
- [road] revestir*, recubrir*; (with asphalt) asfaltar; [wall] revestir*More example sentences
- Concrete blocks to surface the roads can be constructed in a process similar to the roof tiles.
- Mrs Mountford said the final houses had been built on the estate last September and the developer had promised to surface the roads but no progress had been made.
- Local firm Chestnut Developments had wanted to build in the gardens and surface the unmade lane.