Translation of surprise in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable (astonishment) imagine my surprise when I opened the parcela look of surpriseimagínate la sorpresa que me llevé cuando abrí el paqueteoh!, he said, in some surpriseuna mirada sorprendida or de sorpresato my surprise¡oh! —dijo, algo sorprendido1.2 countable (thing, event) what a surprise to see you here!para mi sorpresathe result was o came as something of a surprise¡qué sorpresa verte por aquí!it's no surprise to me that she wonel resultado fue en cierto modo una sorpresato give somebody a surpriseno me sorprende que haya ganadothere's a surprise in store for youdarle una sorpresa a alguienhe rang to say he'd be late — surprise, surprise! [ironic]ya verás la que te esperallamó para decir que iba a llegar tarde — ¡qué sorpresa! [irónico](before noun) (gift/packet)after their surprise defeat in Wednesday's game …a surprise partydespués de la inesperada derrota del miércoles pasado …1.3 uncountable (catching somebody unprepared) See examples: to take somebody by surpriseuna fiesta sorpresasorprender a alguienpillar or agarrar or (especially Spain) coger a alguien desprevenido(before noun) (visit/attack)
- 1.1 (astonish)(person)it would not surprise me to learn that he was a divorcéI was surprised by his vehemenceno me sorprendería que fuera divorciado1.2 (catch unawares)su vehemencia me sorprendió(enemy/guard)pillar or agarrar or (especially Spain) coger desprevenidoExample sentences
- When they got in they could then surprise the occupants, catching them off guard easily.
- Information that is not tracked could later surprise the Army on the battlefield.
- To be able to surprise the U.S. military, they will try to learn more about it than the military knows about itself.
- On the train I ask the chatty parent whether he was surprised at the appointment of a woman.
- He was surprised at the feelings Kate had provoked in him since he'd met her the previous day.
- The researchers were pleasantly surprised to find 56 more gorillas.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than