Translation of surprise in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (astonishment) imagine my surprise when I opened the parcelimagínate la sorpresa que me llevé cuando abrí el paquetea look of surpriseuna mirada sorprendida or de sorpresaoh!, he said, in some surprise¡oh! —dijo, algo sorprendidoto my surprisepara mi sorpresa
- 2 countable (thing, event) what a surprise to see you here!¡qué sorpresa verte por aquí!the result was o came as something of a surpriseel resultado fue en cierto modo una sorpresait's no surprise to me that she wonno me sorprende que haya ganadoto give somebody a surprisedarle una sorpresa a alguienthere's a surprise in store for youya verás la que te esperahe rang to say he'd be late — surprise, surprise! [ironic]llamó para decir que iba a llegar tarde — ¡qué sorpresa! [ironic](before noun) (gift/packet)after their surprise defeat in Wednesday's game …
sorpresa invariable adjectivedespués de la inesperada derrota del miércoles pasado …a surprise partyuna fiesta sorpresa
- 3 uncountable (catching somebody unprepared) to take somebody by surprisesorprender a alguienpillar or agarrar or (esp (Spain) ) coger a alguien desprevenido(before noun) (visit/attack)
sorpresa invariable adjective
- 1 (astonish)(person)it would not surprise me to learn that he was a divorcé
sorprenderno me sorprendería que fuera divorciadoI was surprised by his vehemencesu vehemencia me sorprendióExample sentences
- On the train I ask the chatty parent whether he was surprised at the appointment of a woman.
- He was surprised at the feelings Kate had provoked in him since he'd met her the previous day.
- The researchers were pleasantly surprised to find 56 more gorillas.
- 2 (catch unawares)(enemy/guard)
pillar or agarrar or (esp (Spain) ) coger desprevenidoExample sentences
- When they got in they could then surprise the occupants, catching them off guard easily.
- Information that is not tracked could later surprise the Army on the battlefield.
- To be able to surprise the U.S. military, they will try to learn more about it than the military knows about itself.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.