- 1.1 u (astonishment) sorpresa (f) imagine my surprise when I opened the parcel imagínate la sorpresa que me llevé cuando abrí el paquete a look of surprise una mirada sorprendida or de sorpresa oh!, he said, in some surprise ¡oh! —dijo, algo sorprendido to my surprise para mi sorpresa 1.2 c (thing, event) sorpresa (f) what a surprise to see you here! ¡qué sorpresa verte por aquí! the result was o came as something of a surprise el resultado fue en cierto modo una sorpresa it's no surprise to me that she won no me sorprende que haya ganado to give sb a surprise darle* una sorpresa a algn there's a surprise in store for you ya verás la que te espera he rang to say he'd be late — surprise, surprise! [iro] llamó para decir que iba a llegar tarde — ¡qué sorpresa! [irónico/ironical] (before n) [gift/packet] sorpresa (adj inv) after their surprise defeat in Wednesday's game … después de la inesperada derrota del miércoles pasado … a surprise party una fiesta sorpresa 1.3 u (catching sb unprepared) to take sb by surprise sorprender a algn, pillar or agarrar or (esp Esp) coger* a algn desprevenido (before n) [visit/attack] sorpresa (adj inv)
Today is Fiesta de Santiago (St James' Day). The famous Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage of thousands of people from all over Spain and many other parts of Europe to the holy city of Santiago de Compostela, takes place in the week leading up to St James' Day, 25 July. The city also has its fiestas around this time. The streets are full of musicians and performers for two weeks of celebrations culminating in the Festival del Apóstol.
- 1.1 (astonish) [person] sorprender it would not surprise me to learn that he was a divorcé no me sorprendería que fuera divorciado I was surprised by his vehemence su vehemencia me sorprendióMore example sentences1.2 (catch unawares) [enemy/guard] sorprender, pillar or agarrar or (esp Esp) coger* desprevenido
More example sentences
- On the train I ask the chatty parent whether he was surprised at the appointment of a woman.
- He was surprised at the feelings Kate had provoked in him since he'd met her the previous day.
- The researchers were pleasantly surprised to find 56 more gorillas.
- When they got in they could then surprise the occupants, catching them off guard easily.
- Information that is not tracked could later surprise the Army on the battlefield.
- To be able to surprise the U.S. military, they will try to learn more about it than the military knows about itself.