Translation of survive in Spanish:
- 1 (continue in existence)(person/animal/plant)
sobrevivir(book/relic)of the original expedition few survived
conservarsede los integrantes de la expedición inicial quedaban pocos vivosher last surviving descendantsu último descendiente vivothey look unlikely to survive to the next round (Sport)no parece probable que superen la próxima rondathe manuscript has survived intactel manuscrito se conserva intactoone of the few surviving examplesuno de los pocos ejemplos que quedanExample sentences
- They all needed to be pulling in the same direction in order to continue to survive.
- Let's not kid ourselves, it is the type of cancer treatment available and where you live which determines who survives.
- After Mr Russell was diagnosed he was given six months to live but survived for 15 years.
- 2 (cope, get by) [colloquial]how are you doing? — oh, surviving!¿qué tal andas? — ya lo ves, tirando [colloquial]is it serious? — you'll survive¿es grave? — mira, de esta no te mueresto survive
onsomethinghe survives on black coffee and fruitvive or se alimenta a base de café y frutaI can just survive on $100 a weekcon 100 dólares semanales apenas me alcanza para sobrevivirExample sentences
- Frosh week was when I learned how to survive on one hour of sleep and still have a fantastic day.
- You learn how to wake up at the slightest sound and survive on less sleep than Mrs Thatcher.
- The American economy can take many shocks and it will still survive somehow because of its tremendous depth.
salir con vida de(war/earthquake)
- It is one thing to survive a terrible ordeal and another to learn to live with the fallout.
- The humans who survived the disaster lived in a floating space colony.
- After surviving the tragic ordeal, the infant has been united with her real father.
- 2 (outlive)(person)he is survived by his wife and two children
sobrevivirlo sobreviven su esposa y dos hijoshe survived all his brothers and sisters
deja esposa y dos hijossobrevivió a todos sus hermanosenterró a todos sus hermanos [humorous]Example sentences
- It is necessary that surviving family members remain together.
- He said employers' schemes should not be required to link payments to inflation or to pay surviving partners after death.
- Her special companion preceded her in death and she is survived by many close friends.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.