Translation of survive in Spanish:
- 1.1 (continue in existence)(person/animal/plant)(book/relic)of the original expedition few survivedconservarseher last surviving descendantde los integrantes de la expedición inicial quedaban pocos vivosthey look unlikely to survive to the next round (Sport)su último descendiente vivothe manuscript has survived intactno parece probable que superen la próxima rondaone of the few surviving examplesel manuscrito se conserva intactouno de los pocos ejemplos que quedanExample sentences1.2 (cope, get by) [colloquial]how are you doing? — oh, surviving!
is it serious? — you'll survive¿qué tal andas? — ya lo ves, tirando [colloquial]to survive¿es grave? — mira, de esta no te mueres
- They all needed to be pulling in the same direction in order to continue to survive.
- Let's not kid ourselves, it is the type of cancer treatment available and where you live which determines who survives.
- After Mr Russell was diagnosed he was given six months to live but survived for 15 years.
onsomethinghe survives on black coffee and fruitI can just survive on $100 a weekvive or se alimenta a base de café y frutacon 100 dólares semanales apenas me alcanza para sobrevivirExample sentences
- Frosh week was when I learned how to survive on one hour of sleep and still have a fantastic day.
- You learn how to wake up at the slightest sound and survive on less sleep than Mrs Thatcher.
- The American economy can take many shocks and it will still survive somehow because of its tremendous depth.
- 1(accident/crash)salir con vida de(war/earthquake)sobrevivir a(experience)Example sentences
- It is one thing to survive a terrible ordeal and another to learn to live with the fallout.
- The humans who survived the disaster lived in a floating space colony.
- After surviving the tragic ordeal, the infant has been united with her real father.
- 2 (outlive)(person)he is survived by his wife and two childrenhe survived all his brothers and sisterslo sobreviven su esposa y dos hijosdeja esposa y dos hijossobrevivió a todos sus hermanosenterró a todos sus hermanos [humorous]Example sentences
- It is necessary that surviving family members remain together.
- He said employers' schemes should not be required to link payments to inflation or to pay surviving partners after death.
- Her special companion preceded her in death and she is survived by many close friends.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the