Translation of suspend in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (stop, set aside) [payment/work] suspenderExample sentences1.2 (defer, hold over) [judgment/decision] posponer*, postergar* (especially Latin America/especialmente América Latina) see also suspended sentence
- While immediate lay-offs have been temporarily suspended, the crisis continues with thousands of jobs among Rover's suppliers also under threat.
- The traders have been forced to temporarily suspend trading as they do not want any more clients to fall into this black hole.
- Recently Ryanair was forced to temporarily suspend services on its Strasbourg / London route.
- Cannier SME owners will suspend judgement until they see what real changes emerge in the kind of deals their banks are prepared to offer.
- Refreshments were served and the Ballinrobe Branch has now suspended its weekly meeting until September.
- I'm suspending this meeting until a later time when I can get everyone's complete attention and input.
- 2 (debar, ban) [member] suspender; [student] expulsar temporariamente, suspender (Latin America/América Latina) he was suspended from office fue separado de su cargoExample sentences
- She was suspended from her post in charge of 20 community wardens last summer and her contract was not renewed when it expired in March this year.
- The Evening Echo has learned he was suspended from his role as governor immediately after he was arrested.
- Hall was suspended from his post the following day.
- 3 (hang) (often passive/frecuentemente en voz pasiva) suspender it seemed to hang suspended in mid air parecía estar suspendido en el aireExample sentences
- In some bizarre animator's joke, they were literally suspended, all hung in the air in a big room.
- The key to the diary was suspended from a silver key chain.
- At the head of the room, a large screen was suspended from the ceiling and onto it was projected what appeared to be the layout for their graduation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the