Translation of swerve in Spanish:
- 1.1 (change direction)(vehicle/driver/horse)
dar un viraje brusco
dar un volantazo (Mexico)(ball)she swerved to avoid the dog
ir con efectoviró bruscamente para no atropellar al perrohe swerved in and out of the trafficzigzagueó por entre el tráficoExample sentences1.2 (deviate) [literary]
desviarseI shall not swerve from my purpose [literary]no me desviaré de mi propósito
- A few cars swerved and squeezed by us, but finally someone had to stop and give us way.
- He said his wife had tried to get help by stopping passing cars but one had swerved around her.
- It should be widened and sidewalks introduced - a truck swerving to avoid a pedestrian was the cause of one of last week's crashes there.
no cejaré en mi propósito [literary]
- 1.1 countable (movement — of vehicle)viraje (masculine) brusco1.2 uncountable (of ball)
volantazo (masculine) (Mexico)Example sentences
- The tall and rather narrow little car could not cope with sudden swerves.
- Being world class is not just holding glittering events but roads on which traffic can move at an average and safe speed of at least 40 kmph. without frequent swerves and stops to avoid potholes.
- When garbage contains hard objects, it can contribute more directly to accidents by causing damage to vehicles, punctures or dangerous swerves.
- I remember Steve Davis explaining how Higgins used body action to put swerve on a ball.
- He has accuracy and the ability to make the ball dip and swerve or whatever is needed.
- But no one was calling for a penalty when Pryce came out of nowhere to collect the ball, swerve round the last man and dive over between the sticks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.