- 1.1 (blow) golpe (masculine) to take a swipe at sb/sth intentar darle or pegarle a algn/algoMore example sentences1.2 (verbal attack) ataque (masculine)
More example sentences
- Justin turned aside the blow with a quick swipe, and countered with a low sweep, hoping to get Timothy to jump over the blade.
- His upward swipe countered the first two's downward blows.
- The officer, a commander by the looks of it, parried his blow before attempting another swipe.
- In accepting the award, he paid tribute to the role fans played in turning his movies into a success and took a swipe at critics in the process.
- He took a swipe at earlier press reports which claimed he would take advantage of the company and sell the properties as soon as he could after the two-year period to pocket profits.
- He took a swipe at the Democratic candidates yesterday who want to roll back his cuts, claiming the reductions have fuelled a broad economic recovery in the US.
- 1 (hit) darle* (un golpe) aMore example sentences
- He was swiping at the air with his hockey stick as if that would help.
- He is cranky and on several occasions has tried to swipe at or bite the tourists.
- The coyote snapped at one of the wolves, and the two foxes, with smaller teeth and claws, but teeth and claws nonetheless, began snapping and swiping at the two wolves that snapped back at them.
- 2 (steal) afanarse [slang/argot], volarse* (Mexico/México) [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
- They're stealing more money, swiping more identities, wrecking more corporate computers, and breaking into more secure networks than ever before.
- The bill for the items he stole and damaged topped £72,000 and his crimes included swiping Christmas presents from family homes last year.
- He stole that merchandise as surely as if he had swiped it off the loading dock.
- 3 [Computing/Informática] [card] pasar (por un lector electrónico)More example sentences
- 'Besides,' he continued, swiping his I.D. pass through an electronic lock, 'the kids trust us.'
- Although the door the intruder used to enter the building can only be opened by swiping a security pass, it takes a considerable time to close, allowing the student time to get in.
- A register might be taken electronically after children had swiped their way into class.