Translation of swoop in Spanish:
descender or bajar en picada or (Spain) en picado(bird of prey)
abatirse(police)the eagle was waiting to swoop
llevar a cabo una redadael águila acechaba para abatirse sobre su presathe police swooped on the illegal laboratoryla policía llevó a cabo una redada en el laboratorio ilegalthe hills swoop down dramatically to the sealas colinas caen abruptamente al marExample sentences
- The small bird swooped down and landed by the girls hand.
- A fresh winter wind whips past and the occasional bird swoops through a brilliant blue sky.
- The sight is dramatic as the bird swoops on its prey and lifts it clear of the water in its claws.
- This morning's events followed three arrests after police swooped on homes across the district in a series of raids yesterday.
- A 22-year-old man has been arrested after police swooped on the four-bedroom home in Woodward Heights, Grays.
- Five people were arrested today when police swooped on a house on a York estate as part of a clampdown on crime in the area.
- (of bird, aircraft)descenso (masculine) en picada or (Spain) en picado(by police) redada (feminine)in o at one fell swoopde una sola vez
de un tirón [colloquial]Example sentences
- But he ruled out a swoop for even more shares in the company, saying ‘We have no plans to further increase the level of this investment.’
- He has contacts within the flashy high-speed world of Formula One and some of the men involved in his financial swoop for City are believed to be from the Grand Prix circuit.
- There is still scope to sign players on frees, though, and Hughes is open to the idea of making a swoop for someone like Cole, providing it's financially viable.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.