- (British English) [colloquial] [pejorative]matado, (-da) (masculine, feminine) or (Colombia) pilo, (-la) (masculine, feminine) or (Chile) mateo, (-tea) (masculine, feminine) or (Peru) chancón, (-cona) (masculine, feminine) or (River Plate area) traga (masculine and feminine) or (Spain) empollón, (-llona) (masculine, feminine) [colloquial] [pejorative]Example sentences
- That speech confirms what many people feel and fear about politicians: that they were the most despised classmates at school - the swot, the precocious prat, the political trainspotter.
- The unloved school swots of the 20th century have blossomed into the alpha group of the 21st.
- Even in Shakespeare's day, school was for girlie swots rather than naughty boys.
intransitive verb -tt-
- (British English) [colloquial]estudiar como loco [colloquial]matearse (Chile) [colloquial]Example sentences
- Just last week the wonderfully named teenager Seb Clover sailed solo across the Atlantic at a time when most of his peers are swotting for exams.
- Serves me right for reading the Economist when I should have been swotting for my year 2 exams.
- I suppose I should be swotting madly to be prepared for the big meeting with the supervisor tomorrow, however.
- The new site offers visitors not just information on the school, but a chance to swot up on subjects as well.
- Hobbs, who left school at 16 without a qualification to his name, defied his detractors by swotting up on what makes a successful health club.
- She likes Charles Dickens' novels - Nicholas Nickleby is her favourite - and after choosing her specialist subject she then had a fortnight to swot up on the writer.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.