Translation of sympathetic in Spanish:
- 1 (understanding) she looked a sympathetic personme pareció una persona comprensivathey offered a sympathetic ear when I most needed itme escucharon con comprensión cuando más lo necesitabathey weren't in the least sympatheticno demostraron ninguna comprensiónto be sympathetic
to/towardsomebody/somethinghe was most sympathetic to me when my wife diedme dio todo su apoyo y comprensión or fue de lo más comprensivo cuando murió mi mujerExample sentences
- Both of the controllers were understanding and sympathetic toward me, perhaps more than I deserved.
- ‘Don't worry dear ’, she told me in sympathetic tones, ‘Everything will be fine’.
- Dave offered a hug along with his sympathetic tone, but Lori didn't feel the comfort in the embrace.
- 2 2.1 (approving)(response/view)
favorable(audience)to be sympathetic
tosomething(to a cause/regime)
conalgo(to a request/demand)2.2 (congenial)
Example sentences2.3 (showing empathy)
- Harvey kept Hilarion as a sympathetic character, ruggedly attractive and devoted.
- Like Tony Maudsley's character, Martin, Christine is very sympathetic, and her sweet nature sets her apart from Ray Temple's bullying and caustic ways.
- In Cath, Jennings succeeds in quickly establishing an extremely likeable, sympathetic character.
- So the goal was to design a roof structure sympathetic to these life-forming principles.
- The home had been plagued by numerous remodels, ‘none of which were sympathetic to the original design,’ he explains.
- The homes will also be sympathetic to existing designs in Broome Manor Lane in that they will be two storey.
- This patronising attitude only serves to alienate potential members who might otherwise be sympathetic to socialist ideas.
- At least one newspaper has editorialised in favour of political union and others are sympathetic to the proposal.
- Let's hope that Bradford MP Gerry Sutcliffe, whose ministerial responsibilities now include fireworks, is sympathetic to that view.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.