- 1 (understanding) comprensivo she looked a sympathetic person me pareció una persona comprensiva they offered a sympathetic ear when I most needed it me escucharon con comprensión cuando más lo necesitaba they weren't in the least sympathetic no demostraron ninguna comprensiónto be sympathetic
to/towardsb/sth he was most sympathetic to me when my wife died me dio todo su apoyo y comprensión or fue de lo más comprensivo cuando murió mi mujerMore example sentences
- Both of the controllers were understanding and sympathetic toward me, perhaps more than I deserved.
- ‘Don't worry dear ’, she told me in sympathetic tones, ‘Everything will be fine’.
- Dave offered a hug along with his sympathetic tone, but Lori didn't feel the comfort in the embrace.
- 2 2.1 (approving) [response/view] favorable; [audience] bien dispuesto, receptivo to be sympathetic
tosth [to a cause/regime] simpatizar* conalgo [to a request/demand] mostrarse* favorable aalgo 2.2 (congenial) [environment/atmosphere] cordialMore example sentences
More example sentences2.3 (showing empathy) [interpretation/rendering] fiel
- Harvey kept Hilarion as a sympathetic character, ruggedly attractive and devoted.
- Like Tony Maudsley's character, Martin, Christine is very sympathetic, and her sweet nature sets her apart from Ray Temple's bullying and caustic ways.
- In Cath, Jennings succeeds in quickly establishing an extremely likeable, sympathetic character.
More example sentences
- So the goal was to design a roof structure sympathetic to these life-forming principles.
- The home had been plagued by numerous remodels, ‘none of which were sympathetic to the original design,’ he explains.
- The homes will also be sympathetic to existing designs in Broome Manor Lane in that they will be two storey.
- This patronising attitude only serves to alienate potential members who might otherwise be sympathetic to socialist ideas.
- At least one newspaper has editorialised in favour of political union and others are sympathetic to the proposal.
- Let's hope that Bradford MP Gerry Sutcliffe, whose ministerial responsibilities now include fireworks, is sympathetic to that view.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)