Translation of sympathetic in Spanish:
- 1 (understanding) she looked a sympathetic personthey offered a sympathetic ear when I most needed itme pareció una persona comprensivathey weren't in the least sympatheticme escucharon con comprensión cuando más lo necesitabato be sympatheticno demostraron ninguna comprensión
to/towardsomebody/somethinghe was most sympathetic to me when my wife diedme dio todo su apoyo y comprensión or fue de lo más comprensivo cuando murió mi mujerExample sentences
- Both of the controllers were understanding and sympathetic toward me, perhaps more than I deserved.
- ‘Don't worry dear ’, she told me in sympathetic tones, ‘Everything will be fine’.
- Dave offered a hug along with his sympathetic tone, but Lori didn't feel the comfort in the embrace.
- 2 2.1 (approving)(response/view)(audience)to be sympatheticbien dispuesto
tosomething(to a cause/regime)simpatizar conalgo(to a request/demand)2.2 (congenial)mostrarse favorable aalgo(environment/atmosphere)Example sentences
Example sentences2.3 (showing empathy)
- Harvey kept Hilarion as a sympathetic character, ruggedly attractive and devoted.
- Like Tony Maudsley's character, Martin, Christine is very sympathetic, and her sweet nature sets her apart from Ray Temple's bullying and caustic ways.
- In Cath, Jennings succeeds in quickly establishing an extremely likeable, sympathetic character.
- So the goal was to design a roof structure sympathetic to these life-forming principles.
- The home had been plagued by numerous remodels, ‘none of which were sympathetic to the original design,’ he explains.
- The homes will also be sympathetic to existing designs in Broome Manor Lane in that they will be two storey.
- This patronising attitude only serves to alienate potential members who might otherwise be sympathetic to socialist ideas.
- At least one newspaper has editorialised in favour of political union and others are sympathetic to the proposal.
- Let's hope that Bradford MP Gerry Sutcliffe, whose ministerial responsibilities now include fireworks, is sympathetic to that view.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.