Translation of sympathy in Spanish:
noun plural sympathies
- 1 1.1 uncountable (pity) sympathy (
forsomebody/something)the unemployed need more than sympathylos desocupados necesitan algo más que compasión or lástimaI have some sympathy for the way she's been treateden cierto modo la compadezco por la manera como la han tratadoExample sentences1.2 (condolences) (often plural) please accept this expression of our deepest sympathy or sympathies
le rogamos acepte nuestro más sentido pésame or nuestras más sinceras condolencias [formal]you have my deepest sympathylo acompaño en el sentimientoa letter of sympathy
- From this side of the water, one can have some sympathy with that frustration.
- I have considerable sympathy with Mr S on this aspect of the case.
- I have absolute sympathy with the friends and families of anyone that's suffered in anything like this.
mi más sentido pésameuna carta de pésamewe called to offer our sympathies to his widowfuimos a darle el pésame a la viudafuimos a expresarle nuestras condolencias a la viuda [formal]Example sentences
- Our sympathies and condolences go to the victims of this incident and the people of London.
- Our condolences and sympathies go to the families of the Hon John Falloon and Jack Luxton.
- In this case, one's sympathies go out to the performers who have a living to earn.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (support, approval)I was in/out of sympathy with the majorityestaba/no estaba de acuerdo con la mayoríato come out in sympathy with somebody (go on strike to support)declararse en huelga en solidaridad con alguien(before noun) (strike/action)
de solidaridadExample sentences2.2
also: sympathies plural(loyalty, leanings)simpatías (feminine plural)his sympathies lay with the strikerssus simpatías estaban con los huelguistasRepublican/left-wing sympathiestendencias (feminine plural) republicanas/izquierdistasExample sentences
- However, such a claim is unlikely to attract judicial sympathy for two reasons.
- Keegan deserves a moment of sympathy for his honest comments, but not much more than a moment.
- An opinion poll last week showed there is widespread sympathy for the strikes.
- The Duke of Windsor - for years held up as a romantic figure who abdicated for love - shared those sympathies.
- He also supports Glasgow Rangers, while he's also got Chelsea sympathies.
- In both, secessionist sympathies are much wider than support for terrorism and have a much longer history.
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (affinity, understanding) there was some sympathy between themhabía una cierta afinidad entre ellosExample sentences3.2 (empathy, harmony) a profound sympathy with nature
una profunda empatía or armonía con la naturalezahe yawned in sympathyse le contagió el bostezocoal prices fell in sympathy with oilel precio del carbón cayó siguiendo la tendencia establecida por el precio del petróleo
- Understanding begins with sympathy - recognition of the shared human condition.
- To receive, you must give, and not just in words and gestures but in true sympathy, understanding and commitment.
- He feels that he is receiving less than his share and that there is no one on whom he can rely for sympathy and understanding.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.