Translation of tail in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable(of horse, fish, bird)to be on somebody's tailthey've been on our tail since we leftpisarle los talones a alguienseguir a alguien de cercato turn tailnos vienen pisando los talones desde que salimoswith one's tail between one's legsponer pies en polvorosato chase one's (own) tail [colloquial]con el rabo entre las piernascon la cola entre las patas (Mexico)ir y venir de un lado para otro sin conseguir nadaExample sentences1.2 countable [colloquial]
(buttocks)Example sentences1.3 uncountable (American English) [vulgar] (woman) See examples:he's after some tail
- Lastly, all chordates have a post-anal tail, or extension of the notochord and nerve cord past the anus.
- The tail, like the rest of the body, had no internal skeleton and was reinforced only by lines of scales.
- During the acupuncture stimulation, animals were kept in plastic holders with their tails and hind legs protruding out.
anda buscando un polvo [slang]
- An honest man would have packed his bags, hopped in his truck, and hauled tail out of that place a long time ago.
- 2 countable(of plane, comet, kite)(of shirt, coat)(before noun) tail section(of animal)parte (feminine) de la cola(of aircraft)see also → tails 1sección (feminine) de la colaExample sentences
- Use the rudder to keep the tail right behind the nose, independent of what you're doing with the ailerons.
- The tail unit comprises all-moving horizontal tail surfaces and a single-fin vertical tail fitted with a rudder.
- Before departing they are instructed to try and photograph identification numbers or aircraft tails, if possible, and bring back the evidence.
- The tail of his shirt and parts of his pants and underpants were burned.
- Nicanor wore a multicolored striped oxford shirt with the tails tied at his waist.
- While she had been reading, he had unbuttoned the dark green cotton shirt and untucked the tails from his jeans.
- It is this solar wind - seen only in comet tails - that carries storms from the Sun to Earth.
- The refrigerator-sized satellite will collect dust particles from the tail of comet Wild 2 as the two pass each other on Friday morning.
- They noted that comets had two tails - one of dust, one of ions - and only the dust tail could be explained by the pressure of sunlight pushing against the comet.
- 3 countable (pursuer) [colloquial]to put a tail on somebodyperseguidor, (-dora) (masculine, feminine)hacer seguir a alguienExample sentences
- Then again Jack had a reason to drive evasively; even if he hadn't detected a tail, which was likely.
- In a scene right out of The Sopranos, a tail followed a BFI truck out of the Lincoln Tunnel one evening and nearly ran it off the road in New Jersey.
- 1.1 (follow)(suspect)he was tailing meare you sure you haven't been tailed?me venía siguiendo (los pasos)1.2 (Cookery) → top and tail¿seguro que no te han seguido?Example sentences
- Top and tail the green beans and cook them in salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes till tender, then drain them and rinse under cold, running water.
- Top and tail the green beans, peel the baby onions or cut the spring onion into 2.5cm pieces.
- Top and tail the green beans, then cook in boiling salted water until very tender.
- Richard Tomlinson is racing down the autostrada just outside Rimini with two Italian secret service men tailing him.
- Ilyich growled, but knew that he was outmatched for the time being, so with great reluctance, he bolted out of the room as fast as possible, with Jerwon and Greg tailing him closely.
- Online shopping is hot this year with famous folk, since schlepping to FAO Schwartz with an entourage and a legion of paparazzi tailing you tends to negate the warm, holiday glow!
- The decking market in Australia is huge, obviously tends to follow and tail along with the housing market in Australia.
- Behind us my guards and H'risnth's entourage tailed along, Kh'hitch engaged in a subdued exchange with the ambassador.
- When he's on a job on the weekend, she's usually right beside her dad, tailing along.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.