Translation of takeoff in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 [Aviation/Aviación] despegue (masculine), decolaje (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) the plane is ready for takeoff el avión está listo para despegar or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) decolar the economy is ready for takeoff la economía está a punto de levantar vuelo, el país está listo para el despegue económicoExample sentences1.2 [Sport/Deporte] despegue (masculine)
- Hauling scientists and supplies to the stations gives aircrews a chance to practice icy take-offs and landings and get a feel for being on the ice.
- Crosswinds of up to 30 knots can be accommodated on aircraft take-off or landing with or without stores.
- The take-off is flawless; a steep climb has the aircraft high by strip's end to avoid the possibility of ground-fire.
- 2 (caricature, imitation) [colloquial/familiar] parodia (feminine) to do a takeoff of sb hacer* una parodia de algn, imitar a algnExample sentences
- Overall I thought it was a marvelous take off of all the hood movies.
- Brief glimpses of Bleak House and Great Expectations are followed by a wonderfully witty take-off of A Christmas Carol, with skateboarding ghosts and Tiny Tim on electric guitar.
- Of all the parodies performed on 'The Carol Burnett Show', probably the best-remembered and funniest was an inspired takeoff of the classic film 'Gone With The Wind'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.