- 1 1.1 (for water)(British English)to turn the tap on/offllave (feminine) or (Spain) grifo (masculine) or (River Plate area) canilla (feminine) or (Peru) caño (masculine) or (Central America) paja (feminine) or (Central America) (Venezuela) chorro (masculine)to leave the taps runningabrir/cerrar la llave ( or el grifo etc)dejar las llaves abiertas ( or los grifos abiertos etc)Example sentences1.2
also: gas tap1.3 (on barrel) on tap (lit: of beer)llave (feminine) del gas(ready for use) See examples: we have all that information on tapde barrilwe have plenty of experience on taptenemos toda esa información al alcance de la manodisponemos de mucho personal experimentado(on schedule) (American English) [colloquial]
- Look for a model with digital output temperature control, which delivers consistently hot water from the tap, regardless of flow rate.
- Boil for one minute, then drain through a sieve and rinse under the cold tap.
- When you turn on the tap, unfiltered water flows through the faucet head at a full-pressure flow as with any conventional faucet.
- 2 (listening device)they put a tap on his phonemicrófono (masculine) de escuchale intervinieron or [colloquial] pincharon el teléfonoExample sentences
- Is that because it would have revealed a tap on his phone, a tap on his cell phone and the GPS locator?
- I have a police scanner and a tap on the police computers and phone lines.
- Check it out, but be careful leaving comments - it won't be long before the Department of Homeland Security has a tap on his modem.
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 1.1(cask/barrel)ponerle una espita a(tree)1.2(liquid)Example sentences1.3
(pipe/power line)hacer un empalme conExample sentences
- The water needed to be tapped from a reliable spring four miles away raising the cost of the scheme to £3,000 - to be paid by the householders.
- The deep Israeli wells in the Jordan Valley have good water quality since they tap the Lower Cenomanian aquifer system.
- President-elect George W. Bush has argued that the oil can be tapped without killing wildlife or marring the environment.
Example sentences1.4 1.5 [colloquial]to tap somebody
- To the back of Adian lay a bar, with flasks and wooden kegs that were tapped for liquid stacked in every available place.
- The early closing time of pubs meant that carousers were forced to gather at dusk in private homes, where the host would tap a barrel.
- When we get back the New Belgium kegs get tapped and we start getting primed for the night.
- The two-man crew has tapped into the oxygen supply of a docked cargo ship.
- There's clearly a huge customer resource yet to be tapped; the question is how to go about it.
- The groundwater that is tapped into by wells on private lands is in fact a common resource, something nobody can effectively own.
forsomething (for money/information)she tapped me for informationintentar sacarle algo a alguienintentó (son)sacarme informaciónme tiró de la lengua [colloquial]Example sentences
- As for Paul himself, he is the oddball in his family whom they cannot quite work out, but tap for money as if he was a bank.
- He, is an introspective artist whose success has left him in a lonely place, where livelihoods rest on his shoulders and old friends regularly tap him for money and favors.
- In the immediate aftermath of the events, the public may not have thought of libraries as a source to tap for relevant information.
- The trees are tapped for latex by cutting spiral grooves in the bark and inserting a spout with a cup for collection of the latex.
- In summer they might have found fresh honey in the woods produced by wild bees or perhaps tapped maple trees in spring to harvest sweet sap.
- With the warm days and cold nights, maple trees are tapped for flowing sap.
- 2 he thinks his phone's been tappedcree que le han intervenido el teléfonocree que está siendo objeto de escuchasExample sentences
- For really big cases, the agency buys expensive software from a telephone company to tap phones directly.
- And it is likely that there will be an effort to tap your hard-wired telephone as well - (more on that in a bit).
- A Scanner is a device that is used to tap into cell phone conversations.
- 1 countable (light blow)she gave me a tap on the shouldergolpecito (masculine)there was a gentle tap at the doorme dio un toque or golpecito en el hombrotocaron suavemente a la puertaExample sentences
- A quick tap on the first door to his right was all he gave before pushing it open and entering.
- She started toward her bed, but just as she took her first step, a sharp tap sounded at the French doors that led to the terrace outside her window.
- A light tap at the door announced the arrival of the servant.
- 2 uncountable → tap dancing
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 (strike lightly)he tapped her on the shoulderdar un toque or golpecito enhe was tapping his fingers on the tablele dio un toque or golpecito en el hombroto tap in a command/code (Computing)tamborileaba con los dedos sobre la mesateclear una orden/un código
intransitive verb -pp-
- 1 (strike lightly) See examples:to tap
at/ onsomethingshe's upstairs, tapping away at the keysdar toques or golpecitos enalgoestá arriba, dándole a la máquinaExample sentences
- With lifeless voices, singers march through the streets, striking bells and tapping on drums made of buffalo skin.
- She taps the ‘send’ button and I hear the computer printer crackle in the kitchen behind us as it prints out the order ticket.
- Gently tap to eliminate excess spice mixture and then coat uniformly with bread crumbs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.