- (Cooking) (large) apple/plum tarttarta or (Chile) kuchen de manzana/ciruelaExample sentences
- There are bagels and muffins, chocolate chip cookies, eclairs, tarts, Danish pastries, baklavas and quiches.
- There were also single-crusted tarts with similar fillings and tarts of apples and other fruits.
- We had roast potatoes and cauliflower and then something like apple tart with custard for afters.
- (promiscuous woman) [colloquial]fulana (feminine) [colloquial]puta (feminine) [vulgar]piruja (feminine) (Colombia) (Mexico) [colloquial]loca (feminine) (Río de la Plata) [colloquial]chusca (feminine) (Chile) [colloquial]Example sentences
- I started to peel off my wetsuit jacket; feeling now a little bit like a tart in a French brothel on a busy Bastille Day.
- Maybe you will read this and think she was a tart, but please do not judge someone you don't know.
- It's an exaggeration to say that Boswell and his contemporaries would start the day with a tuppeny tart, get blotto at lunchtime and join in a riot on the way home but not much of an exaggeration.
- 1verb + object + adverb (dress up, make-up)
emperifollar [colloquial]she spends hours tarting herself up
se pasa horas acicalándose or emperifollándose [colloquial]2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object
- 1 (acid)Example sentences
- This compound has a fruity flavour which, when added to the tart taste of acetic acid, gives the complex character to a good wine vinegar.
- And the tangy apple flavour found in most Chardonnays comes primarily from malic acid, the tart acid found in apples.
- Boyle went on to characterize acids, noting their sour or tart taste and their ability to corrode metals.
- 2 (cutting)Example sentences
- He has tart remarks concerning the latest Anglican commotions.
- He looked incredulous, unoffended by her tart tone.
- She was old enough to be Bahzell's mother, and her tart tone was so like his old nurse's that he grinned despite his tension.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.