- 1 1.1 c u (of situation) tensión (f), tirantez (f) the joke helped to relieve the tension el chiste ayudó a aflojar la tensiónMore example sentences1.2 u (felt by person) tensión (f) nervous tension tensión nerviosa (before n) tension headachedolor de cabeza producido por la tensión
More example sentences1.3 c (opposition) conflicto (m)
- There has often been tension between conflicting ideas about the scope of EU competence and the policy-making process.
- There is a basic tension between the idea of the rule of law and other aspects of the Constitution which still reflect an alternative principle that the law must serve the party state.
- Herein lies the primary tension between the two conflicting and apparently contradictory trends regarding immigration throughout the west.
More example sentences
- Mental tension and physical stress are not needed when you are vulnerable and sensitive to pressures of any kind.
- Motherwort is reputed to release tension caused by emotional and mental stress.
- You need to avoid mental tension and stress as they can manifest health problems.
- The water going down your plughole, the planets going around the sun, the electrons spinning around a nucleus, they all reflect the same dynamic tension between opposing forces.
- An answer was provided by inflation: the idea that the universe was born in a state of tension, forcing it to expand enormously fast.
- Controlling the oil in the crankcase significantly reduces ring tension to unlock even more power by minimizing friction.
- 2 u (tautness) tensión (f); (in sewing, knitting) tensión (f)More example sentences
More example sentences
- The competing forces of gravity at the lower end and outward centripetal acceleration at the farther end keep the cable under tension.
- In string theory, as in guitar playing, the string must be stretched under tension in order to become excited.
- I then dial in the cable tension so it lets the chain drop easily to the inner ring and not rub on the cage when on the largest cog.
- Test on fabric scraps for the best tension and stitch length.
- Uneven stitches usually indicate the tension is out of balance.
- Observe the stitch, adjusting the tension until the stitch is formed correctly.
- 3 u [Elec] tensión (f) high/low tension alta/baja tensiónMore example sentences
- Tsagas found that the magnetic tension in bent magnetic field lines tends to flatten the surrounding space.
- Researchers believe this tension results in stripes that are stable under magnetic fields of a certain strength.
- It's the electromagnetic tension field, not the power that stand for the interdimensional interaction.
Browse other language resources
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...