- 1 1.1 uncountable (intellectual activity) modern/Christian thoughtel pensamiento moderno/cristianothought process 1.2 uncountable (deliberation) after much thought, I've decided that …tras mucho pensarlo or tras reflexionar mucho sobre el asunto, he decidido que …a lot of thought went into this decisionse pensó or se reflexionó mucho antes de tomar esta decisiónshe put a lot of thought into the designpensó mucho el diseñohe never gives any thought to his appearanceno se preocupa para nada de su aspectoI'll give it some thoughtlo pensaréI've never given it much thoughtno me he detenido a pensarlomore thought needs to be given to …hay que considerar más detenidamente …to be deep in thoughtestar absorto en sus ( or mis etc) pensamientosto be lost in thoughtestar ido
- 2 countable 2.1 (reflection) impure thoughts to read somebody's thoughtsadivinarle el pensamiento a alguienwhat are your thoughts on the matter?¿tú qué opinas al respecto?his thoughts were elsewhereestaba pensando en otra cosanot to give something a second o another thoughtat the time I didn't give it another thoughten ese momento no le di mayor importanciaI mailed it and never gave it a second thoughtla eché al correo y no volví a pensar en elloto have second thoughts (about something)I'm having second thoughts about accepting their offerme están entrando dudas sobre si aceptar o no su ofertaI've had second thoughts: I don't want to sell the shophe cambiado de idea: no quiero vender la tiendaon second thought(s)pensándolo bien2.2 (idea) I've just had a thoughtse me acaba de ocurrir una ideanow, there's a thoughtpues no es mala ideamaybe Hilary knows — that's a thought!quizás Hilary sepa — tienes razón, puede sershe hasn't got a thought in her heades incapaz de pensarit was a kind thought to send her flowersfue todo un detalle mandarle floresit's only a thought, but …no sé, pero se me ocurre que …the thought crossed my mind that …pensé que …the thought never even entered my head
se me ocurrió que …ni se me pasó por la cabezathat thought had occurred to me as welleso mismo se me había ocurrido a míthought
ofsomethingthe mere thought of food made her feel sickle daban náuseas de solo pensar en comidahe couldn't bear the thought of leaving themla idea de abandonarlos se le hacía intolerableyou must give up any thought of seeing him againtienes que renunciar a la idea de volver a verlothe thought thatla ideathe thought that it might have been me de quela idea de que podría haber sido yoExample sentences2.3 (concern, consideration) (no plural) thought (
- She turned back to go back to the living room when a sudden thought entered her mind.
- It's hard for you to express ideas and thoughts, making conversations short.
- That probably wasn't the thought going through his mind back in June, though.
forsomebody/something)my first thought was for the babyen lo primero que pensé fue en el bebéwith no thought o without a thought for her own safetysin pensar para nada en su propia seguridadwithout a thought for anyone elsesin consideración para con los demásspare a thought for those worse off than yourself
sin pensar en or tener en cuenta a los demásacuérdate de or piensa en los que están en peores circunstancias que túit's the thought that countslo que importa es la atención or el detalleExample sentences
- It is a very complicated system, has a lot of merit, but needs a lot of careful thought.
- Good paths are vital to a garden and deserve a lot of thought and attention.
- We in the west need to give careful thought as to how we can reduce environmental pollution.
- I read them with great pleasure but with little or no thought for the agony the poet has gone through.
- Mr Hay said the hackers had spared no thought for his clients trying to trace old friends and colleagues.
- For a short time there was no thought for the testing path ahead of them as they laughed and joked like any household.
- Doctor Conrad strolled over, deep in thought, and sat down on the bed at Danny's feet.
- She stopped then, dabbed at her eyes, and seemed to be deep in thought for a long moment.
- Jake watched her slow, steady breathing, and sat deep in thought, elbows resting on his knees.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.