Translation of three-line whip in Spanish:
- (in UK)(convocatoria de asistencia obligatoria a una sesión parlamentaria)Example sentences
- Failure by MPs to attend a vote with a three-line whip is usually seen as a rebellion against the party and may eventually result in disciplinary action, such as suspension from the parliamentary party.
- Local councillors are almost powerless, and even the best constituency MP is unlikely to rock the boat against a three-line whip in Parliament.
- A member who defies a three-line whip runs the risk of having the party whip withdrawn; this is tantamount to expulsion from the party.
Definition of three-line whip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.