Translation of thrust in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense & past participle thrust
- (push)(push out)(insert)he thrust her against the wallshe thrust her head out of the windowla empujó contra la paredhe thrust out his chestsacó la cabeza por la ventanato thrust somethingsacó pecho
atsomebodyshe thrust the book at meto thrust somethingme tendió el libro bruscamente or con agresividad intosomethinghe thrust his knife into the bundlehe thrust his sword into the groundclavó su cuchillo en el fardohe thrust his hands into his pocketsclavó or hincó su espada en la tierrathey thrust him into the roomse metió las manos en los bolsilloshe was thrust into the role of …lo metieron a la fuerza en la habitaciónshe thrust the thought to the back of her mindle endilgaron or [colloquial] le enjaretaron or le encajaron el papel de …he thrust his way into the crowded hallapartó la idea de la cabezaentró abriéndose paso a empujones entre la gente que abarrotaba la sala
intransitive verb past tense & past participle thrust
- 1.1 (with sword)to thrustdar estocadas
atsomebody1.2 (push) (+ adverb complement) he thrust past metirarle una estocada a alguienthe army thrust southpasó por mi lado apartándome bruscamenteel ejército se abrió camino hacia el surExample sentences
- It was only through the abdication of Edward VIII in 1936, that, suddenly, she was thrust into the limelight, and became our Queen.
- An empty, demanding hand is thrust at us, and we press money into it.
- He was living the rock and roll lifestyle, going to endless parties where free champagne was thrust at him and he took advantage of it.
- 1 countable 1.1 (with sword) 1.2 (push)Example sentences1.3 (advance, attack)
- He drew his knife and threw himself into a series of lightning-quick thrusts, parries, lunges, and dodges.
- Instead of parrying, Celia crouched under the blade's arc and reprised with an upward thrust of her own weapon.
- Michael parried the weapon with a quick thrust from his left arm and launched his tightened right fist forward.
- Then, as Tolbukhin parried further German armoured thrusts, Malinovsky mounted an attack on Buda.
- As they go into battle, simultaneous armoured thrusts will be launched from Kuwait and Turkey.
- A criticism levelled at Inveraray is that the attacking thrust is often thwarted by over-elaboration among the forwards.
- 2 countable (general direction) See examples: this is consistent with the thrust of their reformsthe (main) thrust of the report is that …esto es coherente con el carácter or la tendencia general de sus reformasla idea central del informe es que …
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (impetus) 3.2 (Aerospace, Aviation, Nautical) 3.3 (Architecture)Example sentences
- The tubes resist lateral thrust caused by bead-cable tension forces that are contained within the overall assembly.
- Its main longitudinal arch thrust is held by six pre-stressed concrete ties, which are fixed into the abutment foundations.
- To resist lateral thrust, the design includes tie beams of posttensioned concrete beneath the foundation slab.
- After liftoff, at nearly 100 percent of rated thrust, the engine throttles back momentarily.
- Ion propulsion is a method of propulsion that uses electrical rather than chemical forces to generate thrust for a spacecraft.
- One of the most important considerations in flight is the balance of forces maintained between thrust, drag, lift, and weight.
- the role of mediator was thrust on her by circumstances
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to