Translation of thrust in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense & past participle thrust
- (push)(push out) sacar(insert) clavarhe thrust her against the wallla empujó contra la paredshe thrust her head out of the windowsacó la cabeza por la ventanahe thrust out his chestsacó pechoto thrust something
atsomebodyshe thrust the book at meme tendió el libro bruscamente or con agresividadto thrust something intosomethinghe thrust his knife into the bundleclavó su cuchillo en el fardohe thrust his sword into the groundclavó or hincó su espada en la tierrahe thrust his hands into his pocketsse metió las manos en los bolsillosthey thrust him into the roomlo metieron a la fuerza en la habitaciónhe was thrust into the role of …le impusieron el papel de …le endilgaron el papel de … [colloquial]she thrust the thought to the back of her mindapartó la idea de la cabezahe thrust his way into the crowded hallentró abriéndose paso a empujones entre la gente que abarrotaba la salaExample sentences
- It was only through the abdication of Edward VIII in 1936, that, suddenly, she was thrust into the limelight, and became our Queen.
- An empty, demanding hand is thrust at us, and we press money into it.
- He was living the rock and roll lifestyle, going to endless parties where free champagne was thrust at him and he took advantage of it.
intransitive verb past tense & past participle thrust
- 1 countable 1.1 (with sword)Example sentences1.2 (push) 1.3 (advance, attack)
- He drew his knife and threw himself into a series of lightning-quick thrusts, parries, lunges, and dodges.
- Instead of parrying, Celia crouched under the blade's arc and reprised with an upward thrust of her own weapon.
- Michael parried the weapon with a quick thrust from his left arm and launched his tightened right fist forward.
- Then, as Tolbukhin parried further German armoured thrusts, Malinovsky mounted an attack on Buda.
- As they go into battle, simultaneous armoured thrusts will be launched from Kuwait and Turkey.
- A criticism levelled at Inveraray is that the attacking thrust is often thwarted by over-elaboration among the forwards.
- 2 countable (general direction) this is consistent with the thrust of their reformsesto es coherente con el carácter or la tendencia general de sus reformasthe (main) thrust of the report is that …la idea central del informe es que …
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (impetus)Example sentences3.2 (Aerospace, Aviation, Nautical) 3.3 (Architecture)
- After liftoff, at nearly 100 percent of rated thrust, the engine throttles back momentarily.
- Ion propulsion is a method of propulsion that uses electrical rather than chemical forces to generate thrust for a spacecraft.
- One of the most important considerations in flight is the balance of forces maintained between thrust, drag, lift, and weight.
- The tubes resist lateral thrust caused by bead-cable tension forces that are contained within the overall assembly.
- Its main longitudinal arch thrust is held by six pre-stressed concrete ties, which are fixed into the abutment foundations.
- To resist lateral thrust, the design includes tie beams of posttensioned concrete beneath the foundation slab.
- the role of mediator was thrust on her by circumstances
hacer a un lado
hacer a un lado
hacer caso omiso de
hacer caso omiso de
las circunstancias le impusieron el papel de mediadoraI don't want to thrust the children on you
no te quiero endilgar a los niñoshe thrust himself on us
nos impuso su presencia
se nos pegó [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.