Translation of thumb in Spanish:
- to suck one's thumb to be all thumbs o (in British English also) all fingers and thumbsI'm all thumbs todayto be under somebody's thumbhoy estoy muy torpe con las manosto get the thumbs down from somebodyestar dominado por alguiento get the thumbs up from somebodyser rechazado por alguiento give the thumbs up/down to somethingrecibir la aprobación de alguiento have somebody under one's thumbaprobar/rechazar algoto stick out like a sore thumb (building/person/object)tener a alguien metido en un puñothe error sticks out like a sore thumbdesentonar terriblementeto twiddle one's thumbsel error salta a la vista→ green 1 1estar sin hacer nadaestar perdiendo el tiempo
- 1.1I thumbed a lift o (in American English also) a ride hometo thumb it [colloquial] 1.2me fui a casa a dedo [colloquial]me fui a casa de aventón (Mexico)(book)a well thumbed bookun libro muy usadoExample sentences
- Anyway, I am thumbing through the friendster pages via a search for ‘Interests: Blading’ in hope of finding some blading kakis.
- But who can deny perusing the headlines, even thumbing through the pages, of the occasional supermarket tabloid while waiting to ring up our groceries?
- After thumbing through a few pages, I was hooked immediately.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.