Translation of thunder in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable (Meteorol)truenos (masculine plural)a clap of thunderun truenoto look like thunder o as black as thundertener cara de pocos amigosto steal somebody's thunder
estar echando chispasquitarle la primicia a alguienExample sentences1.2 countable (sound) a thunder of applause
estruendosos aplausosthe thunder of the waterfall/the traffic
- Flash floods with thunder and lightning were rampant at the weekend.
- We hear thunder because lightning heats the air to more than 43,000 degrees, causing the air to quickly expand.
- There were hailstones, rarely heard loud thunder, lightning, strong gusty winds and sheets of rain.
una salva de aplausosel estruendo de la cascada/del tráfico
tronar(waves)1.2 (move loudly) they thundered up the stairs
bramarsubieron las escaleras ruidosamentethe train thundered through the stationel tren pasó por la estación con gran estruendo1.3 (shout, rant)Example sentences
- The Herald's editorial thundered against the hot-headed motorists who had caused immense danger in Skipton over the Easter holiday.
- It was from this cathedral that John Knox thundered against the ‘monstrous regiment of women’ in the shape of the beauteous Mary Queen of Scots.
- Local columnists thundered against the failures of central government in Madrid.
- The news on the TV screen had a surge of static and a loud noise simultaneously thundered throughout the colony.
- She is distracted by the splintering noises thundering in her ears.
- A sudden flash and a deep rumble thundered across the heaven.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.