Translation of tone in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable and countable (quality of sound, voice) from the tone of her voice I could tell that …por el tono de voz me di cuenta de que …don't speak to your mother in that tone of voice!¡no le hables a tu madre en ese tono!Example sentences
- Yes, his name is uttered amongst the musical cognoscenti in hushed tones.
- By the time the entrées arrived, I found myself taking tiny bites and talking in hushed tones about the quality of the parsnips in my soup.
- She started to laugh, the musical tones reverberating through the halls before quieting.
also: tones plural(sound)(voice) voz (feminine)1.3 countable (Linguistics)tono (masculine) ascendente/descendenteExample sentences
- I can see their expression and hear their tone of voice now, clear as anything.
- She was excited, but couldn't manage a happy tone of voice to express it.
- I could see some of the excitement drain out of her expression and her tone of voice changed.
Example sentences1.4 countable (Telecom)
- Ethnic Liberian languages usually contain two or three distinct tones, based on pitch, which indicate semantic or grammatical differences.
- Chinese pronunciation involves four tones, each indicated by a tone mark.
- Every syllable has an associated tone or pitch - high, low, medium, falling, rising, or whatever.
- In English, these tones suggest finality, the fall frequently occurring at the end of a statement, the rise at the end of a yes-no question.
- His mobile telephone rang with a tone indicating he was in Spain but was switched off without a word being said.
- The harsh tone of the telephone disrupts my slumber.
- I make sure the volume on my beep tone is always turned up as high as it will go.
- 2 countable (shade)Example sentences
- The paintings seem at first to be sombre in tone, coloured mostly by umbers and sepia-like hues.
- His visible brushstrokes in the foreground and creamy subdued tones interspersed with bright oranges and red hues are very seductive.
- Other than delicate pink flesh tones, heavenly shades of blue predominate, accented with green and white.
- 3 3.1 uncountable (mood, style) the tone of the speech/articleel tono del discurso/artículoto set the tonemarcar la pautathe tone of the market (Finance)la tónica or tendencia del mercadoExample sentences3.2 uncountable (standard, level) to raise/lower the tone of something
levantar/bajar el nivel de algo
- The general tone of the piece is cynical, morbid and unpleasantly other-worldly.
- The general tone of the piece was quite positive.
- She'd written most of the lyrics, and it was surprising that he'd caught on about the general tone of the piece.
- 4 uncountable (of muscle) exercise helps keep your body in toneel ejercicio te ayuda a mantener el tono muscularExample sentences
- The Apgar score was based on heart rate, respiratory effort, muscle tone, reflex irritability, and skin color.
- I agree with him that upper airway muscle tone is decreased during sleep and is an important component of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Physical exercise also is encouraged to assist in weight reduction and increase muscle tone.
- 5 countable (Music) 5.1 (interval)Example sentences5.2 (note)
- He uses this music to introduce octaves, accented rhythms, a whole tone scale and a continuous cross-hand pattern.
- At the climax of the third chant, she so subdivides her forces that eventually, all twelve tones of the chromatic scale are encompassed.
- The Hellenistic mind of the Byzantines allowed musicians to draw systems of tones from the music of ancient Greece.
- 1.1 (revitalize)Example sentences1.2 (Photography)
- Kata training is great for defense, raising your level of fitness, toning your body muscles and releasing those dangerously high levels of stress.
- It strengthens and tones your muscles, raises your body's metabolism and knocks up to six inches off your waist, hips and stomach measurement in a single session
- It is also great for toning your upper body, arms and leg muscles.
- With the toner used at full strength, the print should be fully toned in about six to eight minutes.
- Unlike selenium, which selectively tones the low values first, gold toners tend to affect the entire image at once.
- Sepia toning originally was developed to extend the archival life of early black-and-white silver-based prints.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.