Translation of town in Spanish:
- 1.1 c and u (in general) ciudad (feminine); (smaller) pueblo (masculine), población (feminine) to go into town (from outside) ir* a la ciudad (from suburb) ir* al centro in town (not outside) en la ciudad (in center) en el centro it's the best hotel in town es el mejor hotel de la ciudad he's the biggest liar in town es de lo más mentiroso I've lived all my life in towns siempre he vivido en ciudad(es) they live out of town viven en las afueras she's out of town at the moment está de viaje en este momento an out-of-town person una persona de fuera the next day the news was all over town al día siguiente lo sabía la ciudad entera to go out on the town, to have a night on the town ir* or salir* de juerga to go to town on sth tirar la casa por la ventana, no reparar en gastos to paint the town red irse* de juerga (before noun/delante del nombre) [dweller/life] de la ciudad, urbanoExample sentences1.2 u and c (inhabitants) ciudad (feminine) the whole town knows about it lo sabe toda la ciudad or todo el mundo town and gown los habitantes de la ciudad y el ambiente universitario the antagonism between town and gown el antagonismo entre los habitantes de la ciudad y el ambiente universitario
- In Namibia reckless individuals occupy erven in residential areas in cities, towns and villages to conduct their unwanted business.
- They were organized around an exporting economy, and as a result, the major cities dwarfed other towns within the tributary area.
- In areas where peasants normally congregated, villages became towns and towns became cities.
- Central Vision has taken this further with its detailed submission as to how a campus at York Central would be good for town and gown.
- No longer are rivalries between town and gown manifested in destruction, riot and murder.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the