- 1 1.1 countable or uncountable (indication) there was no trace o there were no traces of a struggleno había señales or indicios or rastros de que hubiera habido una peleatraces of the old way of lifevestigios (masculine plural) or rastros del antiguo modo de vidathey can't find any trace of my letterno encuentran mi carta por ninguna parteto disappear without (a) tracedesaparecer sin dejar rastroI detected a trace of a smile on his faceadvertí el esbozo de una sonrisa en su rostroExample sentences1.2 countable (small amount) they found traces of poison in the food
encontraron rastros de veneno en la comidaremove all traces of make-uplímpiese sin dejar residuos de maquillajewithout a trace of resentmentsin un asomo de resentimientothere was a trace of sadness in his voicehabía un dejo de tristeza en su voz
- A trace of sadness was barely audible in Cattia's flat voice, perhaps such a small sliver of one that only Tania really could pick it up.
- It is a tribute to him that there is barely a trace of tedium in a performance lasting more than four hours.
- ‘You're always damned by the exception,’ Hill says with the slightest trace of a smile.
- 2 countable 2.1 (Computing)Example sentences2.2 (drawn by instrument)
- In the beginning of the film, Trinity is on the phone and we see the computer doing a telephone trace.
- Witnesses took the number of the car and police conducted a trace on the vehicle.
- Baxter must now wait to see if the IOC will agree to a second test to establish the nature of the trace detected.
- The traces were recorded at different voltages.
- The consensus model presented here is derived from the results of analyzing only six traces recorded in response to a single perturbation.
- 3Example sentences
- Path was synonymous with trace, another invaluable gift that pioneers used to penetrate the otherwise impassable.
- Here, however, it came to be another old and enduring track through otherwise treacherous and disorienting terrain, a variation of path and trace.
- S'sahr barked an order and there were groans, but the troopers spread out keeping eyes open for any traces or tracks.
- 1 1.1 (chart) the book traces the events leading up to the crisisel libro detalla el desarrollo de los acontecimientos que desembocaron en la crisisthe documentary traces the history of the organizationel documental examina or analiza paso a paso la historia de la organización1.2 (find) they can't trace my application formno encuentran mi solicitudI can't trace any reference to itno encuentro ninguna mención de elloExample sentences1.3 (follow)
seguirle la pista or el rastro athey traced him to a hotel in Birmingham
- Now Lloyd and Debbie Peters, who moved to Australia from Hockley, are calling for help in tracing the white Havenese dog who ran off while being groomed.
- What was dismissed as a ‘third-rate burglary’ was eventually traced to the White House.
- Police have so far been unable to trace the white Conway trailer, but a cheque from the Donnes has gone some way to lifting the youngster's spirits.
rastrearle siguieron la pista or el rastro hasta dar con él en un hotel en BirminghamExample sentences1.4 (find origin of) I can trace my family back to the 17th century
los orígenes de mi familia se remontan al siglo XVIIhis family traces its descent from the Huguenotssu familia desciende de los hugonotesthey traced the information (back) to the embassydescubrieron que la información provenía de la embajada or se había originado en la embajadato trace a callaveriguar de dónde proviene una llamadathey traced the call to a public telephoneaveriguaron que la llamada provenía de un teléfono público
- Yohanna's fingers traced a silver crescent mark on the babe's forehead and in that brief moment Yohanna recognized her.
- It had claw marks across its wooden panels, and when I traced them with my finger I decided that they were far too big to be from some kind of animal.
- He reached out his hand and his fingers traced her laughing smile.
- 2 2.1 (on tracing paper)Example sentences2.2 (draw)
(line/outline)she traced (out) a plan of the town in the sand
- Using graphite paper, they traced their portrait onto the map pieces.
- If you are not confident in your drawing skills, you may want to use a piece of tracing paper and trace the image you would to place on the rubber stamp.
- They first drew their portrait on paper before tracing the sketch on to the fabric.
trazarhizo or dibujó un plano de la ciudad en la arenaExample sentences
- His hand gripped the hilt of his sword, the blade drawn but down so the point traced a line in the snow.
- Now, with your finger, trace a few quick lines in the heap, imposing some sort of visual rhythm.
- I knew where his hands were on my back, I could feel the patterns he was tracing with his fingers, where my hands were behind his neck, the fireworks exploding in my head.
- (harness strap) to kick over the tracesExample sentences
- Ales broke off in mid-explanation to dive into the crowd, reappearing clasping a handkerchief waving teenage girl, and yoking her into the cart's rope traces.
- The horses pulling the carriage suddenly took fright for no apparent reason, snapped the traces and bolted off, startling both the hosts and their guest of honour.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.