Translation of trample in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (stamp on, crush) pisotear they trampled the daffodils into the ground pisotearon los narcisos they were trampled to death murieron aplastadosExample sentences1.2 (ignore) [ideals] pisotear; [rights] pisotear, atropellar
- Conversely, the likelihood of me trampling anyone as I walk down the street is highly unlikely!
- There have been villagers in other parts of Zambia mauled by lions, trampled underfoot by elephants and hippos.
- Last year, 14 pilgrims were trampled to death during the ritual and 35 died in a 2001 stampede.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1to trample
onsb/sth police horses trampled on demonstrators los caballos de la policía arrollaron or atropellaron a los manifestantes the newspaper had been trampled on by passers-by el periódico había sido pisoteado por los transeúntes 1.2 (ignore) to trample onsth [on ideals] pisotear algo [on rights] pisotear or atropellar algo he trampled on anyone who got in his way se llevaba por delante a todo aquel que se interpusiera en su camino to trample oversb pisotear a algnExample sentences
- ‘The country's relatively loose control over these companies has enabled some greedy bosses to trample on workers' rights’, she said.
- Born-and-bred residents are being trampled on by wealthy incomers who push property prices even further beyond their reach, they say.
- They had a big job to do in taking maintenance work back from numerous engineering companies, but that is no excuse for trampling over workers' employment rights.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.