Translation of trick in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (ruse) it was a trick to get him to confessfue una trampa or un ardid para que confesarathey played a dirty trick on himle jugaron una mala pasadait's just a trick of the light
le hicieron una mala jugadaes la luz que engaña(before noun) trick photographfotografía (feminine) trucadatrick photography a trick questionuna pregunta con trampasee also→ dirty tricksExample sentences1.2 (prank, joke) to play a trick on somebody
hacerle or gastarle una broma a alguienmy eyes must be playing tricks on medebo de estar viendo visionesshe's up to her old tricks againya está otra vez haciendo de las suyashow's tricks? [slang]¿qué tal? [colloquial]¿qué onda? (Latin America) [slang]Example sentences
- Irham said that candidates were found to have used various tricks to deceive the poll commission in their registration documents.
- Its surprisingly short length is a cunning trick, since this tantalizing opening leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat wanting to hear a few more snippets.
- They just could not understand how anyone would be deceived by the trick.
- He flits and flies all over the camp, scampers and gambols, plays little mischievous tricks on everyone.
- It might be love if only they can stop playing nasty practical tricks on each other.
- In the majority of Western cultures, tricks and jokes are played on the bride and groom separately at small parties held prior to the big day.
- 2 (feat, skilful act) to do card trickshacer trucos con las cartasI've taught my dog to do tricksle he enseñado al perro a hacer graciasthe trick is to add the oil slowlyel truco or el secreto está en añadir el aceite poco a pocoshe knows every trick in the bookse las sabe todas [colloquial]we've tried every trick in the bookhemos intentado todo lo habido y por haberhe knows all the tricks of the tradese sabe todos los trucos del oficiogive it a good thump, that should do the trickdale un buen golpe y verás como funcionathanks for those pills, they did the trickgracias por las pastillas, me hicieron or (Spain) me fueron muy bien→ dog1 1 1Example sentences
- I would not be allowed to watch him and Aiken perform little magic tricks for my amusement.
- A Western team filmed him with infrared cameras and, of course, were able to show that he was performing a conjuring trick.
- They introduced him to the village; he played his gramophone, performed conjuring tricks, put on puppet shows, and talked about justice for the peasants.
- With a few cunning camera tricks and makeup, he literally becomes a paralyzed man, both of body and of heart.
- There is a very cunning trick to the site, but it took me some time to spot what it was.
- First, I note that many readers thought that some intended camera trick had brought about these strange smears and trails.
- 3 (habit) to have a trick of
-inghe has a trick of turning up when we're about to eattiene la costumbre de aparecerse cuando estamos por comerthe generator has a trick of cutting out every half houral generador le da por apagarse cada media hora [colloquial]
- 4 (in card games) to take/win a trickhacerse/ganar una bazahe/she doesn't miss or never misses a trickno se le escapa ni unaExample sentences
- Next, the players play to tricks, with the winner of each trick replacing their card with their choice of one of two exposed cards and the loser receiving the other card.
- When all the cards have been played each player counts the value of the cards in their tricks.
- If all players discard their final card on the same trick, no points are awarded.
adjective before noun
- 1 (cigar/spider)de juguete
de mentirade pega (Spain) [colloquial]Example sentences
- It is not an optical illusion or trick photography.
- For some reason, I'm a sucker for trick questions.
- Do you understand that I will not ask any trick questions on this test?
- More than once he'd predicted a storm, rain or otherwise, because his trick knee was acting up or another kind of disaster because his elbows were aching.
- I had to quietly excuse myself from a Vinyasa class with mutterings of trick knee.
- Individuals with minor knee pain, clicking, giving way or a "trick knee" usually are experiencing the earliest symptoms of arthritis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.