Translation of trick in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (ruse) it was a trick to get him to confessthey played a dirty trick on himfue una trampa or un ardid para que confesarait's just a trick of the lightle jugaron una mala pasadale hicieron una mala jugada(before noun) trick photographes la luz que engañatrick photography a trick questionfotografía (feminine) trucadasee also → dirty tricksuna pregunta con trampaExample sentences1.2 (prank, joke) to play a trick on somebody
my eyes must be playing tricks on mehacerle or gastarle una broma a alguienshe's up to her old tricks againdebo de estar viendo visioneshow's tricks? [slang]ya está otra vez haciendo de las suyas¿qué tal? [colloquial]Example sentences
- Irham said that candidates were found to have used various tricks to deceive the poll commission in their registration documents.
- Its surprisingly short length is a cunning trick, since this tantalizing opening leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat wanting to hear a few more snippets.
- They just could not understand how anyone would be deceived by the trick.
- He flits and flies all over the camp, scampers and gambols, plays little mischievous tricks on everyone.
- It might be love if only they can stop playing nasty practical tricks on each other.
- In the majority of Western cultures, tricks and jokes are played on the bride and groom separately at small parties held prior to the big day.
- 2 (feat, skilful act) to do card tricksI've taught my dog to do trickshacer trucos con las cartasthe trick is to add the oil slowlyle he enseñado al perro a hacer graciasshe knows every trick in the bookel truco or el secreto está en añadir el aceite poco a pocowe've tried every trick in the bookse las sabe todas [colloquial]he knows all the tricks of the tradehemos intentado todo lo habido y por habergive it a good thump, that should do the trickse sabe todos los trucos del oficiothanks for those pills, they did the trickdale un buen golpe y verás como funciona→ dog1 1 1gracias por las pastillas, me hicieron or (Spain) me fueron muy bienExample sentences
- I would not be allowed to watch him and Aiken perform little magic tricks for my amusement.
- A Western team filmed him with infrared cameras and, of course, were able to show that he was performing a conjuring trick.
- They introduced him to the village; he played his gramophone, performed conjuring tricks, put on puppet shows, and talked about justice for the peasants.
- With a few cunning camera tricks and makeup, he literally becomes a paralyzed man, both of body and of heart.
- There is a very cunning trick to the site, but it took me some time to spot what it was.
- First, I note that many readers thought that some intended camera trick had brought about these strange smears and trails.
- 3 (habit) See examples: to have a trick of
-inghe has a trick of turning up when we're about to eatthe generator has a trick of cutting out every half hourtiene la costumbre de aparecerse cuando estamos por comeral generador le da por apagarse cada media hora [colloquial]
- 4 (in card games) to take/win a trickhe/she doesn't miss o never misses a trickhacerse/ganar una bazano se le escapa ni unaExample sentences
- Next, the players play to tricks, with the winner of each trick replacing their card with their choice of one of two exposed cards and the loser receiving the other card.
- When all the cards have been played each player counts the value of the cards in their tricks.
- If all players discard their final card on the same trick, no points are awarded.
adjective (before noun)
- 1.1(cigar/spider)1.2de juguetede mentirade pega (Spain) [colloquial](American English)con problemasExample sentences
- It is not an optical illusion or trick photography.
- For some reason, I'm a sucker for trick questions.
- Do you understand that I will not ask any trick questions on this test?
- More than once he'd predicted a storm, rain or otherwise, because his trick knee was acting up or another kind of disaster because his elbows were aching.
- I had to quietly excuse myself from a Vinyasa class with mutterings of trick knee.
- Individuals with minor knee pain, clicking, giving way or a "trick knee" usually are experiencing the earliest symptoms of arthritis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.