Translation of trim in Spanish:
- 1.1 (slim)Example sentences1.2 (neat)
(uniform/suit)de buen corte(car)de líneas estilizadas(house/garden)muy cuidadoExample sentences
- The slim, trim title, suggesting an anthology of prefaces as an art form, is a leftover from Gray's earliest plan for the book.
- All qualities, one may contend, perfect to maintain a slim and trim posture.
- It is likely enough that pupils painted the background into which the master inserted the Teniers-like bright individual figures and their trim dogs.
- These neat and trim premises and surrounds are a credit to the school's scholars and teachers.
- These very trim and neat little craft will be a big addition to the club for their one class racing events.
- The numerous choices include various preferences, faders on/off, smart and trim tool selections and more.
- 1 uncountable (condition)condiciones (feminine plural)(good condition)swimming keeps me in trimbuen estado (masculine)buenas condiciones (feminine plural)try to keep your equipment in good trimla natación me mantiene en forma or en buen estado físicointenta mantener tu equipo en buenas condicionesExample sentences
- His counterpart was a short, compact man, obviously in the type of shape and trim that came from self-indulgent working out.
- This company isn't just back in fighting trim - it's stronger than ever.
- Keep in fighting trim, people; we will be needing you soon.
- 2 countable (cut) just a trim, pleaseto give the hedge a trimcórteme solo las puntas, por favorrecortar el setoExample sentences
- He looked a little messy, with his hair desperately needing a trim as it was always ruffled.
- Speaking of hair that needed a trim, Liam had really let himself go.
- His brown hair needed a trim even as it curled darkly over the color of his faded green shirt.
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (on bodywork of car)(upholstery)3.2 (woodwork)molduras (feminine plural)Example sentences3.3 (on clothes)
adornos (masculine plural)(along edges)Example sentences
- For most of the day I work on that one spot, taping along the marble trim, sealing the edge of the tape, painting and then repainting the bands.
- Exposed edges should be fastened to floor surfaces with trim along that edge.
- When they are in the light times, they dress in fine apparel with bright colours and gold trim.
- The Limited also has steering-wheel wood trim, a power rear sunshade, and bumper moldings with chrome-inserts.
- The car has a completely new dashboard and interior trim, with echoes of the TT sportster.
- So perhaps it could be sporty in terms of interior trim.
- 4 uncountable (Nautical)Example sentences
- A quick trip from the cabin to check the tiller and sail trim and to scan for other shipping, and the skipper was in from the cold again.
- No witness before the Subcommittee was able to offer any reasonable suggestion to explain how the ship could have gotten out of trim in that 24-hour period.
- In consequence, a nuclear submarine proceeding at quite high speeds for protracted periods could become substantially out of trim.
transitive verb -mm-
- 1 1.1 (cut)(hair/beard/edges)we had to trim back the rose bushes1.2 (reduce)tuvimos que podar bastante los rosales(budget/spending)exercises to trim (down) your hipsejercicios para adelgazar las caderasExample sentences
- Costs have been trimmed, new technology installed, the product range reduced and the workforce cut from 18,000 to 7,000.
- It added the move would be good for the company's cost base by trimming the ‘increasing cost burden of complying with US securities regulations’.
- This isn't to say programs haven't been trimmed; some have.
- His fingernails were trimmed to a neat band of white.
- Grapes harvested are collected in a shed, where groups of women trim the fruit into neat little bunches for about $1 day.
- When it came to her diet, Randi decided to make small but significant changes: She started by trimming her portion sizes and adding a vegetable or a dark-green leafy salad to every meal.
- 2 2.1 (decorate)(dress/hat)trimmed with velvetcon adornos de terciopelo(round edge)2.2 (Cars) (upholster) the car interior is trimmed in leathercon ribetes de terciopeloribeteado de terciopeloel interior del coche está tapizado en cueroExample sentences
- The sleeves and seams are trimmed with reflective material that's usually found on running shoes.
- It was midnight blue and the sleeves and neckline were trimmed with white, and the material was glowing in the dim light.
- The hem was trimmed with white beads, and pearls and rubies framed the neck.
- 3 (Nautical)(sail)Example sentences
- While trimming sails as a beginner, Pogell discovered that the sport was an ideal vehicle for personal growth.
- David was meticulously trimming the mainsail when Howard stumbled out of the aft cabin and went up on deck, blinking in morning sunshine.
- They trimmed the sails in out, in out, for hours and it made the difference.
- As the power changes, the airplane naturally trims nose-down, so the pilot trims up to compensate.
- → trim off
- (cut off)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.