Translation of true in Spanish:
adjective truer, truest
- 1 1.1 (consistent with fact, reality) to be trueser ciertoit's true that …
ser verdades cierto or es verdad que …it can't be true!¡no puede ser!it's a true storyes una historia verídicato come truehacerse realidadto hold trueser válidotrue, inflation has fallen, but … how true! or too true!¡si será cierto!you never said or spoke a truer word!¡tú lo has dicho!it would be truer to say that …sería más correcto decir que …would it be true to say that … ?¿podría afirmarse que …?they're so stupid it's not trueparece mentira que sean tan tontos1.2 (accurate, exact) (before noun)
son increíblemente tontos(account)
verídico(copy)the portrait was a true likeness of her
fielel retrato la había captado a la perfecciónin the truest sense of the wordExample sentences
- They're working hard at trying to redress all of this and come to a true, exact count.
- They are not, however, true or accurate representations of either the West or the East.
- Introducing the members of his team and the cast at a function, Bala said that the film would depict love in its true sense.
- 2 (real, actual, genuine) (before noun)(purpose/courage/culprit)a true Mexican/Frenchman
verdaderoun mexicano/francés auténticogive me your true opiniondime de verdad lo que piensasin search of our true selvesen busca de nuestra verdadera identidadthe rowan is not a true ashel serbal no es un auténtico or verdadero fresnotrue northel norte geográficoit's true lovees amor de verdadsee also→ trueloveExample sentences
- The Buddha discovered that the genuine, true thing we keep looking for isn't there at all.
- I consider that the Family Court does not have true and genuine evidence to support their decision.
- This was the search for the genuine goal and true essence or martial arts on which he spent most of his time.
- It dealt with some of the real, true issues of what this Government is really all about.
- Statements to the press are now the key in determining true intentions.
- Yet this is not an actual or true experience, because it does not recur the next day or anytime soon.
- 3 (faithful) twelve good men and truedoce hombres justostrue
tosomething/somebodyfielto be true to one's word aalgo/alguienser fiel a or mantener su ( or mi etc. ) palabrahe was true to his promisecumplió su promesaI must remain true to myself
cumplió lo prometidotengo que ser consecuente conmigo mismothe film is not at all true to the bookla película no es en absoluto fiel al librotrue to his prediction …conforme a sus predicciones …true to formtrue to form, he arrived latecomo era de esperar, llegó tardethe team, true to recent form, played brilliantlyel equipo, siguiendo su tónica actual, jugó estupendamenteshe was running true to form, telling everyone what to do see also→ true-to-lifeExample sentences
- He was faithful, true, a loyal friend, a good son, and he was wise beyond his years.
- She is remembered as a devoted family woman and a true and loyal friend.
- You have made an oath and a pledge that you will be a faithful, true and loyal citizen of the United Kingdom.
- 4 (Technology) (predicative) to be true (wall/upright)estar a plomo(beam)
estar a nivel(wheel/axle)
estar alineado or centrado(instrument)his aim is true
estar bien calibradotiene buena punteríaExample sentences
- It will lead to a displacement of the user positioning solution from the true position.
- Only then could I feel confident and proud that my aim was true, and that I was indeed a great hunter.
- In both directions, the bubble stayed exactly in the middle so I knew that this edge of the level was true.
- 1 (truthfully) [literary](speak)tell me true
con sinceridadExample sentences
- He spoke truer than he knew, or else he had foreseen the course of events.
- By my faith, he may find that he spoke truer than he is aware of.
- Adam Smith never spoke truer than when he said: "Work is done in the workplace, but the real business of life is usually accomplished while entertaining".
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.