Translation of truth in Spanish:
noun plural truths
- 1.1 uncountable (quality, condition)(of account, story)is there any truth in the story?
veracidad (feminine)¿hay algo de verdad en esa historia?there is some truth in what he sayshay parte de verdad en lo que diceI doubt the truth of his statementdudo de la veracidad de su declaraciónhis theory may not be so far from the truthpuede que su teoría no ande muy desencaminadathe truth is that …la verdad es que …tell me the truth to tell (you) the truth, I don't knowsi quieres que te diga la verdad, no lo sétruth to tell, I've never been there if (the) truth be known/told, he just isn't interestedla verdad es que no le interesathe truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (British English)la verdad, toda la verdad y nada más que la verdadin truth, it must be said that … [formal]hay que reconocer que …(the) truth will outlas mentiras tienen las patas cortas
se pilla antes al mentiroso que al cojoExample sentences1.2 countable (fact) I could tell you a few truths about …
te podría decir unas cuantas verdades acerca de …see also → home truthExample sentences
- Big business acts on a different scale of honesty, morality and truth to we mere mortals.
- It will say that truth and honesty were the basic disciplines of scientists such as Jones.
- My research showed that this stereotype once had some truth but is now no longer true.
- One of the great accepted truths which shapes our existence is the fact that nothing lasts forever.
- You face truths and facts in personal and professional situations to gain clarity.
- We western liberals take it as an article of faith that facts and truths trump everything.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.