- 1 (of Russia) zar (masculine)More example sentences
- The crowned heads of Europe - kings, emperors, tsars, and kaisers - still entertained each other at regattas, manœuvres, weddings, and funerals.
- When Washington was elected President of the United States in 1789, the Holy Roman Empire still existed, France had a king, Russia had a tsar, China had an emperor and Japan had a shogun - none of which exist today.
- The last czar of Russia, Nicholas II, and his czarina, Alexandra, led a contented family life with four daughters and a son.
- 2 (in government)persona nombrada para coordinar y aplicar la política gubernamental en energía, control antidroga etc., en una zona determinadaMore example sentences
- We've heard about a lot of different czars climate czar, drug czar, now a border czar.
- I think what Jack just said about our schools failing, we need an education czar.
- Indeed, the government now desires a new regulatory agency under a sort of "czar for access."
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Chile (Día de la Independencia)