- 1.1 (private teacher) profesor, (masculine, feminine) particularMore example sentences1.2 (at university) (British English/inglés británico) tutor, (masculine, feminine) (profesor que supervisa el trabajo de un estudiante) (before noun/delante del nombre) group tutor grupo (masculine) de tutoría
More example sentences1.3 (book) método (masculine)
- From 1743 he was a private tutor and school teacher until in 1748 he found a position as librarian of the collection of Imperial Count Heinrich von Bünau near Dresden.
- My advice is to keep your son at his present school and employ a private tutor to improve his grades rather than drag him kicking and screaming to a new school that he does not want to attend.
- After his primary education was completed, Vico served as a private tutor to the nephews of the bishop of Ischia.
More example sentences
- Mature students are, as a rule, the kinds of students university tutors dream about: keen, committed and interested.
- College authorities have banned tutors from offering students a predinner drink and the timing of Hall has been brought forward to discourage excessive drinking before dinner.
- And students and their tutors from schools, colleges and training companies from all across Wiltshire will be honoured.
- I'm hoping my piano tutor book will arrive tomorrow, too, or the day after, and then I can begin work in earnest.
- A friend back home had provided me with a stack of tutor books and sheet music, and these disappeared for a few days, presumably while one of the Wai Wai studied them.
In Spain the term castellano, rather than español, refers to the Spanish language as opposed to Catalan, Basque etc. The choice of word has political overtones: castellano has separatist connotations and español is considered centralist. In Latin America castellano is the usual term for Spanish.
- (teach — privately) darle* clases particulares a; (— at university) (British English/inglés británico) darle* clases a to tutor sb in Greek darle* clases de griego a algn I was tutored in Greek by Dr Jones el Dr Jones fue mi profesor de griego or me dio clases de griegoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- She filled the time by tutoring groups of local and Korean students in English which she proved to be very good at.
- She now terms herself unemployed, but is involved with tutoring schoolchildren in Harlem.
- I have to tutor some freshmen in Spanish after school.
- I study and I do part time work tutoring or gardening (mow lawns).
- He also worked part time tutoring during the university term.
- His relations with his aunt deteriorated, however, and Nielsen left her home when he was fourteen and he continued at school but earned his living by tutoring.