Translation of twist in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (screw, coil) to twist something
aroundsomethingthe snake twisted itself around its preyenrollar or enroscar algo alrededor dealgothe wires got twistedla serpiente se enroscó alrededor de su presase enroscaron los cablesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (turn)
- Maybe if I twist this ring a little harder I'll get to imagine Kendall again.
- Reaching in his back pocket, he pulled out the ring of keys and twisted the smallest one in the lock on his right cuff.
- She adjusted the tiny screw at the top and twisted some more, still nothing came out.
(handle/knob)to twist the lid off a bottlehe twisted her armdesenroscar la tapa de una botella→ little fingerle retorció el brazoExample sentences
- The pair were laughing loudly, Corrie twisting one of her curls around her finger.
- Rochelle began twisting some of her hair around her finger, and I thought that she mustn't have been keeping tabs on me as well as she thought.
- Cora toyed with her cloak, twisting the shining white fabric between her fingers while gazing up at the stars.
- Her face ached from the false smile that appeared on her lips, and her toe throbbed from being twisted in the wrong direction.
- Every head in Madrid's packed Plaza de Toros was twisted in their direction.
- And before he knew it, the pro had twisted him into positions he never thought possible.
- 2 2.1 (distort) his face was twisted with pain2.2 (sprain) I twisted my ankle/wristtenía el rostro crispado por el dolorme torcí el tobillo/la muñecaExample sentences2.3 (alter, pervert)
(words)(meaning)you twisted what I saidhas tergiversado or distorsionado lo que dijeExample sentences
- In attempting to play the shot, Lehmann twisted the injured left knee which he already had strapped and he obviously did further damage.
- The Spaniard had a break point for a 3-1 lead in the first set when he twisted his right ankle after chasing a Sluiter forehand.
- ‘The real test will come in the New Year when I am running and twisting the knee but a week after the operation everything is going well,’ he said.
- I have been misquoted and my words have been twisted.
- Being clear, and always conscious of whether my words could be twisted, was really important.
- We seem to have a lot of sensible men in our laboratories at the moment but their words are being twisted and blown up in a quite irresponsible manner by the media.
- 1.1 (wind, coil)(rope/wire)enrollarseenroscarse(road/river)1.2 (turn, rotate) the cap twists off1.3 (writhe)el tapón se desenroscaretorcerseExample sentences1.4 (dance)
bailar el twistExample sentences
- She squirmed and writhed and twisted, genuinely this time, but she was small anyway, and Sarah was strong, and so she wasn't going anywhere.
- She tried to wriggle and twist around, but could only move fractionally.
- The sea will rear up because Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent, is twisting and writhing in fury, making his way toward the land.
- The dancing couples twisted and turned, dancing until they got dizzy and sat down for a drink.
- If you can listen to either one's music without starting to twist, frug or jerk, you seriously need a soul implant.
- He took my hand and held my waist as we danced across the floor, twisting and twirling.
- The corner of her eye caught the yellow bus as it came down the long road, twisting and winding, stopping here and there to pick up children that also attended school.
- Below, another less obvious route twists off slyly to the south.
- The rim snakes and twists and after a while it's easy to lose your bearings in an unfamiliar place.
- 1 1.1 (bend — in wire, rope) round the twist (British English) [colloquial] 1.2 (turning movement) to give something a twisthacer girar algoExample sentences1.3 (something twisted) See examples: a twist of paper
a twist of threadun cucurucho de papela twist of lemonun torzal de hilouna rodajita de limón(retorcida)Example sentences
- Why just do lunges when you can do a lunge and a torso twist?
- The gentle back bends and twists soothe lower back pain, improve digestion, and clear your thinking.
- It wasn't so much that I was going fast, as that I did many acrobatic twists as I slid down the hill.
- In certain parts, the water was flowing extremely fast and there are lots of twists and bends.
- Quite the opposite, in fact, as it responded immediately when it came to powering out of the twists and bends of the lanes of the Cartmel Peninsular.
- Silence fills the car as he maneuvers around the twists and bends of the road, turning left on Main, which is much brighter.
- 2 (in story, events)by a (strange) twist of fatevuelta (feminine) de tuercagiro (masculine) inesperadopor una de esas (extrañas) vueltas que da la vidaExample sentences
- The second half of the show is filled with unexpected and clever plot twists, as well as a marked shift in tone.
- His stories are accompanied by a strange twist of the supernatural.
- And in a serendipitous twist of fate, he is now in a position to offer my band discounted studio time at a local recording studio.
- 3 (dance)Example sentences
- But I told Quentin that there were other dances other than the twist.
- They stood up, sang Twist and Shout, danced the twist, going up and down.
- The entire crowd was in a constant groove, heads bopping and legs kicking up doing the twist, swing dancing, and just plain old quaking and shaking.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.