Translation of underpin in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-nn-)
- 1.1 [Constr] [wall/structure] apuntalar 1.2 (support, strengthen) [system] sostener*; [argument/claim] respaldar, sustentarExample sentences
- Work began on rectifying the structural problems of the library and extra piles were inserted and the building was underpinned.
- The claim of the insured included an additional claim to underpin an adjacent office block, which was not part of the insured property.
- Mrs Lloyd said the council refuses to answer questions about underpinning her house.
- He said, ‘We are remembering the past, honouring the present and underpinning a legacy for future generations in gathering here today.’
- We should never lose sight of the fact that it is engagement in a real economy that underpins reciprocity in society.
- The story of her parents' struggle to raise four children in an alien culture underpins her book and her beliefs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to