Translation of underpin in Spanish:
transitive verb -nn-
- 1.1 (Constr)(wall/structure)1.2 (support, strengthen)(system)Example sentences
- Work began on rectifying the structural problems of the library and extra piles were inserted and the building was underpinned.
- The claim of the insured included an additional claim to underpin an adjacent office block, which was not part of the insured property.
- Mrs Lloyd said the council refuses to answer questions about underpinning her house.
- He said, ‘We are remembering the past, honouring the present and underpinning a legacy for future generations in gathering here today.’
- We should never lose sight of the fact that it is engagement in a real economy that underpins reciprocity in society.
- The story of her parents' struggle to raise four children in an alien culture underpins her book and her beliefs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.