Translation of underplay in Spanish:
- 1 (play down)(importance)
quitarle or restarle importancia aExample sentences
- ‘Only a fool would underplay the important role you played in our history,’ he said.
- Oddly, the report tried to underplay these important factors.
- More than anyone else, Bobby himself would wish to underplay his disability and to concentrate on his achievements, for that is really what is important to him.
- 2 (Theater)(part/scene) (interpretar de manera contenida o sin el debido énfasis)Example sentences
- Despite its subject matter, the film is unsentimental and avoids the conventions of melodrama, with some of the most intense scenes being quietly underplayed and restrained.
- In the title role, he underplays the part nicely.
- The rest of the cast either underplays their role or overplays it to the point of being far too cartoonish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.